cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split balloon with quantity into 2 balloons

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, I have an automatically created drafting callout "divided circle" balloon with item number and quantity in the balloon.  The quantity is more than 1 and I would like to have the balloon split into 2 or more so that I can show where the items are located in the assembly.  Is there a way for me to split the existing balloon into two balloons so that I can specify where the other items are?  I've checked the Documentation and Command Finder, but haven't been able to find anything.  Thanks

7 REPLIES

Re: Split balloon with quantity into 2 balloons

Legend
Legend

Hi,

via standard NX command no, but via program yes.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

So what has to be done "via program"?  Unfortunately, this is another example of something that's simple in other CAD softwares, but requires a workaround in NX.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

What exactly is a "split balloon"? Can you post a description or screenshot?

If your NX installation is set up to only allow a single parts list (which I believe is the default option), you can add a blank ID symbol (the same type that you use for the parts list callout) and attach it to the other component instance. Update the parts list and the balloon will be filled in with the component info. Alternatively, you can add a leader to the existing balloon to indicate the other component instance along with the first.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I want to split an "automatically created drafting callout "divided circle" balloon".

balloon fail.PNG

NX created one balloon, but I want to split it into multiple balloons so that I can show where the item is in multilple locations.

Here's my initial post to give context: "Hello, I have an automatically created drafting callout "divided circle" balloon with item number and quantity in the balloon.  The quantity is more than 1 and I would like to have the balloon split into 2 or more so that I can show where the items are located in the assembly.  Is there a way for me to split the existing balloon into two balloons so that I can specify where the other items are?  I've checked the Documentation and Command Finder, but haven't been able to find anything.  Thanks"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The "divided circle" is sometimes referred to as a split balloon. I've never heard anyone use the term "split balloons" when referring to creating more balloons. I had read the original post, but still wasn't clear on what you meant; now I know.

If you just want to create more balloons, a "program" shouldn't be necessary. See the last part of my previous post.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, the "split balloon" was referring to the action/task - I'm wanting to Split the balloon.  I wasn't referring to a "split balloon".  

From working with different CAD softwares, I was hoping that I would be able to simply select the original balloon, indicate that I want to have the component count subtracted from the original balloon and then be able to create a new balloon at a new location..  The original balloon would then have the component count decreased by 1(or however many I indicated) and then a new balloon would be created where I indicated.

Phenom
Phenom

For reference, the "divided circle" from the help docs:

Callout and Quantity

This places the callout value on the first line and the quantity value on the second line.  This is intended to be used with the split type of balloon symbols. This is equivalent to specifying the "custom" option and entering <T$~C!$~Q> in the Custom Text box

I'm not sure if this can be done selectively, it seems to be an all, or nothing type setting in the customer defaults.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1