Re: Spreadsheet. "Failed to set Excel running"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Office_32_Bit.jpg

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Ben,

I just created a new file using blank template as you said. Same result! I got the message of Spreadsheet window: "Failed to connect to Excel Events"

Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Community, here a few pictures from Excel concerning the Add-Ins settings:

NX12_XLS_00.jpgNX12_XLS_01.jpgNX12_XLS_02.jpgNX12_XLS_03.jpgNX12_XLS_04.jpgNX12_XLS_05.jpg

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Blendy ,

Can you check if you have this file on this location?
2019.02.07_10h42m30s_003_.png

And if it does exist, can you check if this is read-only or not?

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

it's there, but it's read only.

What does that mean? Do I have to make it write accessible?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Sorry, Does not seem to matter if it's read only or not. (at least not on my system).

I was looking at the last line of you error message. My german is not good enough I had translated it good enough the first time.

The last line seems to point to a work directory that might be in use or read-only. But without detailed info it's hard to look deeper into this.

I might be useful if you contact GTAC directly so you can provide a syslog so we can look a bit better at this. Because as I see it at this point, there should be no reason why this should not work with the versions you have.

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

A couple of questions:

1. Do you have Foxit PDF Reader installed?
  2. Have you tried adding ug.xla to the Trusted Locations of the Excel "Trust Center Settings"?

Regards, Ben

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@BenBroad wrote:

A couple of questions:

1. Do you have Foxit PDF Reader installed?
  2. Have you tried adding ug.xla to the Trusted Locations of the Excel "Trust Center Settings"?

Regards, Ben

As someone who runs Foxit PDF reader, I'm curious what type of problems it can cause (and if there are fixes).

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @cowski1 

Whilst reviewing previous issues reporting the "Failed to set Excel running" I noticed a common suggestion, which was to uninstall Foxit PDF Reader.  I haven't looked further into this yet and figured I'd go down that path if it @Blendy had it installed.

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

Hi @BenBroad and @cowski1 ,  I was having a similar problem and I use Foxit, as well.  I contacted the Siemens NX helpdesk and some very helpful lady (I forget her name) guided me step by step into fixing the problem and she also gave me the step by step writtten instructions, to.  I had added that info at this post: "https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/New-problem-with-Excel-and-NX-not-wo... I would not have found that solution on my own, so she was very helpful.  I had nothing to do with making the instructions.  I just copied and pasted.  That was her solution.  That was with NX 10 and not 12, so hopefully the solution is still the same.  Thanks