Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square to Round Transition

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

As part of our design process we have occasions where we need to transition from sqaure to round ducting, previously using an alternative 3d packaged this could be accomplished with ease, but just how is it done in NX (version 11 or 12)?

Thanks

Alistair

4 REPLIES 4

Betreff: Square to Round Transition

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hello Alistair,

I am not sure if I have really grasped the problem. If you want to create an transition-body then I would try Tools like Through Face, Swept or Studio Surface, depending of the complexity of the creating face (Distance, Spine-Curves, Continuity between the faces...).

regards, Frank

Re: Square to Round Transition

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Wirtgen_Ltd wrote:

Hi,

As part of our design process we have occasions where we need to transition from sqaure to round ducting, previously using an alternative 3d packaged this could be accomplished with ease, but just how is it done in NX (version 11 or 12)?

Thanks

Alistair

Is this in regards to sheet metal ductwork where you need to flatten the result for a fabrication drawing?

If so, below are links to a couple of threads on eng-tips that may be of use:

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=314231

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=383157

The links above use an older version of NX. Perhaps there is an easier way in the newer versions of NX. If nothing else, the technique shown should be usable in current versions.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Through Curves command using edges of two solids. Make tangent to faces and check flow and shape settings:

2019-02-19 14_34_27-Window.png

To control where the surface merges into the cylinder divide the end face (using a sketch on the face) to create edges on the circle.

2019-02-19 14_35_49-Window.png

Steve V
Highlighted

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi @Wirtgen_Ltd,

Please take a look at the attached NX11 zip file for a couple of simple examples - Ruled and Through Curves. The important things to understand is how to pick the curves and the Alignment method used (By Points). The Alignment controls the "twisting" from one shape to the next. I purposely set up the profiles and selected the curves in such a manner that the Alignment would be correct with little additional input from me. You can move the alignment handles manually and just eyeball it if you don't want to mess with making the curves in a specific manner to assist with the alignment.

The Ruled feature would be an example where continuity (tangency, for example) would not be necessary. Through Curves would be an example where continuity was desired (tangency in my example).

The documentation has plenty of information covering simple alignment methods.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7