Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepping down to NX 6

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm trying to export a fairly large assembly from NX 10 to NX 6 while mainaining component information. The assembly itself has several thousand components and each is named with product specific information needed for the project. Is there any way to step the assembly down without loosing all of the information? Exporting it to a step file has always resulted in the components being renamed "body 1, body 2, etc..". 

10 REPLIES

Re: Stepping down to NX 6

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

JT works better.  Just make sure that yout JT tessellation config file is set to export an NX6 compatible JT file version (I think JT version 9 is supprted in NX6) and to include Parasolid XTBreps in the export for NX to extract as precise geometry.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Experimenter
Experimenter
Will that create solid parts? I'd heard that JT files are basically 3d
"dumb" pictures.

Brandon Anderson

Manufacturing Planner

Metalcraft Logo

P +1 435.586.3871 | M +1 435.123.4567
526 Aviation Way, Cedar City, UT 84721

www.metalcraft.net

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This transmission is intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity to whom or which it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential or constitutes a trade secret, or which is
controlled for export purposes and cannot be exported or transferred except
in compliance with applicable law. Any use, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this
transmission, by someone other than the intended addressee or its authorized
agent may violate applicable law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail, delete this e-mail, and destroy any copies.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If you use the STEP exporter and use the "entire part" option, you will get individual parts created on import. If memory serves, the newly created parts (on import) will be named similarly to the NX parts.

Siemens Phenom

Dumb? Not all. They are much more intelligent than other CAD nuetral translations like STEP or IGES since they can contain BOTH lightweight 3D faceted models for quick viewing AND at the same time also contain precise CAD geometry in Parasolids format (NX's 3D modeling kernel).

Also, there is no translation when opening them like you have to do for STEP since NX natively opens JT files.

So in summary, if you open a XTBrep enabled JT file in NX, you will get the exact CAD geometry and faster than trying to import STEP.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've tried to export a test piece as a JT file but when I go to open it up in NX 6 I get this error:

E: Failed to load bookmark: The PLM XML document failed

I don't know if I'm exporting my file correctly. I took screenshots of the export process and attached them. Any commentary?

Siemens Phenom

That GUI doesn't cover all ofthe settings you need to change; primarily the JT version used.  you need to edit your tess config file to change the JT version from "10" (the NX10 default value) to "9" so that NX6 can open it.

The default tess conig file is located in the NX 10 under ..\PVTRANS and is called tessUG.config.  The setting to change is JtFileFormat = "9".

Larry Carpenter, P.E.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I found the configuration file but there isn't a way to open it to make changes to it. Is there somewhere else I could make those changes. Thank you so much for your help by the way. 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Do you not have write access to the folder?

If so, copy it to somewhere you do have write access, edit it there, then make sur eto select that file for the Jt export (I think there's somewhere you can do that? - or maybe an ENV you can use?)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom

Open it in any text editor, makes changes, and save it to wherever you can. Then be sure you point to it in the JT export GUI.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.