Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String cross or bad selection (Through curve mesh)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello guys, 

I'm new in this forum and also quite new to NX. 

I have NX 11 and I always face the same problem. I would like to make a mesh or a surface through some curves. I tried the studio surface and the through curve mesh and both give me an error. I know how to use it and I actually used it successfully in less complex shapes. The shape should be an airplane. 

I hope you can help me. 

I've attached my file.

2 REPLIES

Re: String cross or bad selection (Through curve mesh)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

With some work it should be possible but really it is not a good practice to create closed surfaces in both directions. To get it to work the first and last sections need to be points at the ends. Also not a good idea to build a product shape in one big step.

Firstly I would change the lateral spline sections to represent only half of the plane. Then once constructed mirror the surface.

Create the fuselage separate from the tail fin and possibly also the cockpit.

Should do the nose and tail end of the fuselage as separate surfaces from the main fuselage.

Same with the wings, do the high and low pressure surfaces separate then the leading and trailing edges as section surfaces.

Better to do this in steps as you will have more control of quality and shape for each functional area.

Steve V

Re: String cross or bad selection (Through curve mesh)

Experimenter
Experimenter

@StevenVickers wrote:

With some work it should be possible but really it is not a good practice to create closed surfaces in both directions. To get it to work the first and last sections need to be points at the ends. Also not a good idea to build a product shape in one big step.

Firstly I would change the lateral spline sections to represent only half of the plane. Then once constructed mirror the surface.

Create the fuselage separate from the tail fin and possibly also the cockpit.

Should do the nose and tail end of the fuselage as separate surfaces from the main fuselage.

Same with the wings, do the high and low pressure surfaces separate then the leading and trailing edges as section surfaces.

Better to do this in steps as you will have more control of quality and shape for each functional area.

Thank you for your fast answer. You've helped me a lot. 

I just came across with another question, refering to your answer. To make things easier, so that I don't have to redo all splines, is there a possibility to split, cut or divide this splines with the datum planes. 

I thank you in advance