Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested regular mouse for NX use 8h a day ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

Is a "ball mouse" Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 or MX Ergo trackball suggested for NX for maximum comfort usage ?

I do NX 8h a day full week and hand is a bit cramped or at least will be after finishing 50 years of clicking :-).

- I have a 2012 MX performance laser mouse that is aging and buying a new one.

- I also bought a new kind of "mechanical keyboard" red \ brown-silent switches for comfort writing.

(- I have already a 3D mouse SpacePilot Pro 3D connexion.)

ball54554.jpg

10 REPLIES

Re: Suggested regular mouse for NX use 8h a day ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I used a Logitech Wireless Trackball for years when I was working at home as I had limited space for a traditional mouse and mouse pad.  It worked just fine, however on the road I used a normal wireless mouse as the trackball is heavier and bulkier particularly when trying to carry it in a laptop bag.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
You'll probably end up with tendinitis of the thumb with those trackball mice Smiley Happy
I have a 3dconnexion SpaceExplorer in my left hand and an Anker vertical, ergonomic mouse, on trial, in my right hand. The vertical mouse allegedly helps to reduce wrist strain and prevents compression of the carpel tunnel. This was a recent upgrade for me after getting tendinitis pain in my wrist, which has since subsided after using the Anker.

Good luck with your quest.
Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I'm using the mouse of 3Dconnexion.

3d_mouse.PNG

in the past i had always issues with my fingers after a day work.

But with this mouse i don't have it any more. You have 3 mouse buttons on this one because of the middle one is not the scroll wheel but a separated button .

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Genius
Genius
OK. Vertical \ Angle changing mouses seem to be the latest addition.
Anker mouse seems pretty cheap 15-20€ : ( These Trackballs cost 60-80€euros )
https://www.amazon.de/Anker-Vertikale-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B009D9CZ5C

Genius
Genius
I checked ebay for "Vertical laser mouse" and found a bunch of them for 8-20€ euros.
Looks innovative and new:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000DPI-6-Key-Human-Engineering-USB-Wired-Laser-Vertical-Mouse-For-PC-Lapto...

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

3Dconnexion CADmouse for me.  I like it a lot better than the typical mouse that comes with a workstation.  It's a bit larger, so my hand stayd more relaxed on it.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I use a contour Mouse, They offer different sizes, for different hand sizes.

https://www.contourdesign.com/product-category/mice/

Works nicely,

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I used spaceball in left hand & mouse in right ('m right handed).

Desk I used had a sharpish edge on it, my right wrist started hurting (CTS or tendonitis or whatever).

Note I'm a glorified "hunt & peck" typist, so I also (mostly) type with my right hand.

I switched my mouse to the left & spaceball to the right, and issues with my wrist went away.

NOTE: I also switched my mouse *buttons*, so the same finger does the same task.  After 5-10 minutes, I was full speed on my mousing.  So now I'm "ambi-mouseous" ;-) (like ambidextrous, only different)

(except for the person here who leaves his mouse on the right, but switched the buttons anyhow ?!?!?!)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Desk I used had a sharpish edge on it, my right wrist started hurting (CTS or tendonitis or whatever).

Note I'm a glorified "hunt & peck" typist, so I also (mostly) type with my right hand.

I switched my mouse to the left & spaceball to the right, and issues with my wrist went away.

I had this exact same issue and used the same solution (though I didn't change the buttons on the mouse) - oddly enough it worked for me too.  I've since replaced my regular desk with a height adjustable one which has resolved the edge issue, amongst other things.  I switch between my wired vertical mouse and a wireless logitech M705 (which looks remarkably like the 3dconnextion one Ruud posted, less the middle mouse button).  The Anker I bought from Amazon was a cheap vertical mouse to see if I would benefit from a different position, consequently it does not appear to be as accurate/reliable as my logitech.  My wrist/forearm definitely feels more relaxed in that position so I'll probably invest in a higher-end wireless vertical mouse.

Regards, Ben