Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for ballooning on drafting with linked body

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

after problems and problems and problems using promote body to simulate machined cast part, I'm using a suggestion promoted by a SIEMENS PLM employee where a component become 'Component is Not-Geometric' to resolve double mass calculation and reference set (but need to be accommodated manually).

After that, ballooning in drafting it is not possible because linked body is ignored. Suggestion without strange workaround.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

16 REPLIES

Re: Suggestion for ballooning on drafting with linked body

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00,

Add a new component with 'Create New' command and select the wave linked body to add it in the new component. Update the parts list and autoballoon.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @GaneshKadole,

sorry ?

have you understand my question ?

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Oops..I misunderstood it completely. Hope someone will suggest a workaround for it.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Double mass calculation shouldnt happen with promoted bodies. Am I wrong?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Javiduc,

ideally promotion is the ideal solution for simulate machined cast parts, but promotion solution has lot limitations during the editing relinking and creation when main assembly are open.

Yes, promote body doesn't double mass.

Thank you...

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

I'm using a suggestion ... where a component become 'Component is Not-Geometric' to resolve double mass calculation and reference set (but need to be accommodated manually).

You might need to explain this in more detail as I think it's confusing the issue.  You agree that promote body doesn't double the mass, yet you're using 'Component is Non-geometric' to prevent the issue (and some other Reference Set issue that you have not explained). 

After that, ballooning in drafting it is not possible because linked body is ignored. Suggestion without strange workaround.

Promoting a body alone does not prevent it from being ignored by the parts list, so autoballoon and/or manually adding an ID symbol should work.

Making a component non-geometric turns off the display of that component, so you wouldn't expect it to work with Autoballoon and/or ID Symbols, other than faking an ID symbol perhaps to show where the item is used.  You would reserve this option for materials like oil, that you want to appear in the parts list but are not represented in the 3D model.  By turning off that component (using non-geometric), you also make the promotion disappear, so there's nothing for auto-balloon (or an ID symbol) to attach itself to. 

ideally promotion is the ideal solution for simulate machined cast parts

Really?  Why?  WAVE linking seems far more practial.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I dont find wavelinking practical since they duplicate mass... Promote body is closer to represent reality and closer to how other cad programs works. The problem is that it has some limitations as cubalibre said. In my oppinion represent machined assemblies is the weakest side of Nx. Because of it, not having the possibility to make threaded holes to several components with just one feature...

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @BenBroad,

I'm happy you participate to this discussion because you are a Siemens PLM employee and because machining a cast part on NX can be done in different manner with some limitation on use, but I need the best solution to use.

Normally I use the promote body into NX to simulate the machining cast part, as described in the help, but if I need to replace the the cast part with other for some reason or for some unknown reason NX interrupt the link, it's impossible to relink promote body. There are other limitations that born on intensive use, but this must sent to GTAC. As you have read in the forum, much NX users complain the use of promote body.

Said that, a Siemens PLM employee has post another solution to machining cast part.

The solution in the topic is :

1) Use wave geometry link body that is well supported by NX

2) Component is set to 'Component is Non-geometric' to prevent double mass calculation from NX

3) Manually remove component form 'Model' reference set

Now, I ask to you, if I want to use this solution because wave give me more tranquillity, how can I use balloon on this solution ?

Remember that paperless is an utopia for now

Thank you...

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@BenBroad wrote:

Really?  Why?  WAVE linking seems far more practial.

Wave link vs. Promote Body....   the debate continues Smiley Happy  John Baker and I have discussed this one online for years.  Based on these discussions, I have determined that for a cast to machined, type situation, promote is the better way to do it.  That said, I have ER's submitted to make Promote work better, (re-associating for one).  I encourage our users to use both, depending on the situation.

One of the past discussions, a lot of the usual names participated:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=291934

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1