Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Suggestions for large assemblies

We’ve got a prospect who is using Inventor at the moment and they are going to switch to another CAD system, then add the PDM/PLM system of that CAD system along side.

They are a company who builds factories around the world.

They have assemblies starting from 100k to a little over 1million parts, which are also very big in actual size.

They would like to see how NX handles assemblies of that sort.

Any suggestions? Or pros/cons over Inventor?

12 REPLIES

Re: Suggestions for large assemblies

CemAlpay wrote:

We’ve got a prospect who is using Inventor at the moment and they are going to switch to another CAD system, then add the PDM/PLM system of that CAD system along side.

They are a company who builds factories around the world.

They have assemblies starting from 100k to a little over 1million parts, which are also very big in actual size.

They would like to see how NX handles assemblies of that sort.

Any suggestions? Or pros/cons over Inventor?

I'm starting a war, but NX doesn't handle big assembly like Solid Edge and SolidWorks. There aren't rapid solution to handle NX big assembly without lots of setting / configuration (advanced assembly license). The same for drafting of big assembly.

Thank you...

Using NX 10 / RuleDesigner PDM

......Testing NX 11 on production

This war could worth hearing some noise and suggestions about settings and some features Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,

Cem ALPAY, Managing Partner
UCGEN YAZILIM LTD. STI.
TEL: 0216 550 52 06

[ Edited ]

After years of working with NX, I've found the help files to be a good starting point.

working with large assemblies

working with large assembly drawings

Note there is also (I think) a limit of 1 KM (1000 meters) in each of X Y & Z directions for an NX part.

Not sure if/how an assembly can handle multiple parts that span more than 1 km (i.e. 5 parts @ 500m each that are lined up end-to-end).

Or has this changed? (or did I mis-remember?)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

This is worth trying'

I tried this.

First I tried to create a box with 1000000mms.

No luck. It was not visible. Lowered down to 500000mms and now I see the part.

then I created a part with 500mms in length, created a pattern in assembly with 2100 times.

After fitting the screen, I saw that the patterned components were longer.

but after some rotates and fits, after selection, I saw sometimes 1775 components, sometimes 2071, sometims 1954.. Not consistent.

I remember having a menu in older versions for trimming planes of the screen.

Does anyone know anything that could be done?

We'll lose before it starts Smiley Happy

Cem

Hi Cem,

there are different issues here:

First, let's see the Geometry and Display issues:

1. Parasolid Limit is 500 meters in size around the absolute CSYS origin. So solid or sheet bodies in a piece part can only be created in this 1km-box. This does not apply for wireframe geometry, for example curves.

2. Display limits: You can tweak a bit in the customer defaults:

Gateway -> Visualization -> View/Screen Tab -> Maximum Size for an Object's Bounding Box. This is 500000 per default and can be raised. But this limit only applies to the screen extent, not the "depth" of the screen, which is controlled by Z-Clipping planes

3. Z-Clipping Planes also have the max. limit of +/- 1km in depth, which results in a 2km depth field. everything above or below these planes is "cut off".

Regarding the number of components in an assembly there is no limit I know of. However, the "natural" behavior of large structures, as they are normally created, does make really large assemblies hard to handle. There are quite some techniques in NX, but these also have their limits at some point. The largest assembly I know of (a customer's real productive assembly, a plant model) does include ~380.000 parts - updating the structure without loading the components even takes a while here.

As a result, Siemens developed a technology based on Teamcenter, that allows managing products consisting of multi-million components. This technology is called "4th Generation Design" or 4G. This is a very different approach compared to static assembly structures and requries Teamcenter. But it also means quite some changes in design processes.

Hope that helps a bit.

Johannes

Hi Johannes.

Where can I get some more info about the new approach?

We are also talking about Teamcenter with NX and we would like to know about this 4GD.

Cem

Hey Cem,

a good start is a youtube Video. See it here.

But keep in mind, it is a whole new world for design, and there may be use cases that are not yet supported.

Also sending you a PM.

Johannes