Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Suggestions to use newer version of NX

Dear all, Is it recommended to start a project in newer version of NX or there is no difference starting a project in older version and then upgrading to newer version?
Sina shojaee
6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author sina
‎01-25-2017 12:42 AM

Re: Suggestions to use newer version of NX

Generally you will always encounter a point in time, where you have to open an old project in a newer release of NX.

Most users tend to start a new project in the new release and use the old release to finish their current projects, when the release change is in the middle of a project.

When they are more familiar with the new release, old projects are also handled with the new release.

In general support for old releases is fading out as new releases appear, so to get problems fixed it is best to use the new release.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 7.4, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0

You don't mention... Native or Teamcenter?

If Teamcenter, you have to be VERY careful if you want to use multiple NX versions.

Note the following applies to native as well, but there's things you can do with load options to get around it it in native.

The big issue is when someone saves a common bolt (or nut or whatever) in the new version - no one can open an assembly in the "old version" if one of the components has been saved in the new version...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

I agree with Stefan, there is always a moment to go live.

We have customers they go live at the start of a new project some of them start when they are in the middle of a project.

I recommend the following to all my customers.

if you have multiple users of NX, i recommend that 1 (keyuser) installs the newest version of NX.

He/she can test the new NX version to check if ther current workflow is still working in NX11.

You can create a test document with all the things in it that you can check before go live with the newest version of NX. If everything is working fine you are ready to go live.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Do you, or anyone for that matter, have a "pre deployment test plan" that they could share?  I've never had time to develope one, and simple try stuff on the fly, during my very short test window.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Generally we are just creating a simple project from scratch, which represents our regular workflow.

We too don't have had time to create a fully feature deployment test scenario.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 7.4, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0

What are you doing in native to get around a refiled part?  If you're keeping them in seperate directories according to NX version, you've just thrown configuration control to the wind...