Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface color transfer between bodies (parts) with Boolean operation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

This is the situation.

In a part a body is created by using linked body of a another part as a tool for a Subtract. That tool part is colored in specific way and the idea is to transfer tool body colors to the new part. In order for this to work in NX  "For Boolean Faces" in  Modelling Preference needs to be changed to "Tool Body". The first time this is done it works fine and the colors are transfered to newlely created surfaces.

The issue is that if the Tool part surfaces get colored in another color, the new surfaces won't be updated even after the part rebuild. Only way the update is possible is to delete the Subtract (Boolean) that is used to create the surfaces and make a new one.

Question:

Has anyone got a suggestion/workaround that would allow for the created body to be updated accoring to the tool body/part surface coloring changes, without having to recreate Subtract?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES

Re: Surface color transfer between bodies (parts) with Boolean operation

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

One alternative is to use "assign feature color" to the subtract feature. It may be more robust when updating the model.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Is the tool body ONE color, or are (potentially) different faces of the tool body different colors?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @JakovM,

While creating the wave link body, did you check the option "Use Display Properties of Parent Part"?wavecolor.png

Regards,
Ganesh

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@cowski1

The body has multiple surface colored in different colors and the created subtract and it's surfaces should reflect that.

That's why using Assign Feature Color is not an option.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@GaneshKadole

Yes I use display properties of a parent part. Because of that, the first time I create the subtract it's OK but if the tool bodies surfaces change, surfaces created by subtract won't reflect the change even after rebuild.

So if I have to simplify the questions is, how to get the surfaces of a subtract do update according to surface coloring changes on a tool body which is linked from a different part.

If a surface of the tool body is changed, after rebuild the linked body will reflect that but the subtract will not.

thanks to all for the inputs so far Smiley Happy

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @JakovM,

Are you keeping tool body for subtract operation?

I checked this, if 'Keep Tool' option in subtract dialog is checked, then color of faces that are produced after subtract operation does not update. If 'Keep Tool' option is unchecked, then the color of those faces gets updated.

Regards,
Ganesh

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It seems to work! Thank you.Smiley Wink

Since I need the target body I can just do an extract before the Subtract operation. I will see how it works with my models but it looks promising.

The question I would have now is why is it limited in this way and.... if using API/nx.open I can build build up my own "Subtract" that updates the surfaces even with "keep tool" settings on.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I would report this to GTAC, as it seems like a bug to me (to me, behavior should be the same whether or not tool body is kept)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

I encounter this issue everyday. I think this is a rebuild failure. Sometimes when you reopen the models, they reflect the new changed colours.

There are some work arounds I found,

1. Run “Update External Changes”
  2. In the part navigator, I move the linked tool body up/down in the tree so it will rebuild (Forcing to rebuild).
  3. Re-link the tool body / use replace
  4. If there are many changes, then re-run PDW Pocket tool after using “Remove Pocket”

@cowski1 

I use “Assign Feature Colours” but still I find it not very stable or could rely on to preserve the colours while you edit other features. There are many options to select within that command, but still didn’t find the correct combination to work with tool body colouring.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW