Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Surface color transfer between bodies (parts) with Boolean operation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Ken_A I agree. Same rule should be applied regardless of the choice or at least there should be a visible option to choose if surface coloring change of the original parts "updates" on the subtract or not.

A colleague insures me that this was conveyed to GTAC. But I see the same thing in both NX9 and now 11.

@mike_fdo Thanks for the suggestion. External update does work but again only in the case of using Subract not keeping tool. The other methods aren't rebust enough.

I went into the api to search for possible solution, but neither SubtractBodies (UF) nor BooleanBuilder offer the solution for this.

Phenom
Phenom

@JakovM

Just while ago, I updated the colours of my part to reflect new colours of a tool body, by using #2 metheod I mentioned. Try it out.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@mike_fdo In my case it doesn't work.  I tried moving up and down, supress/unsupress but nothing has influence on the surface color of subtract if the option "keep tool" is on.

To recap:

1. Part that is linked in another gets a new face color

2. The linked body gets updated. This can be done either by reopening it forcing a rebuild or by "update for external change" (thanks for that). The linked body reflects the changes.

3. Case A: Subtract has the option "Keep Tool" - The surface of the subtracts doesn't update aka the surface color doesn't look like the tool one.

Case B: Subtract has "Keep Tool" off - Everything updates OK.

Phenom
Phenom

Open the attached assembly and Supress/Unsupress the Model3 part’s Boolean Subtraction. One same Tool body leaves two different colours. The parent Tool colour was change just before creating each subtraction.

Apparently Boolean Subtract with the Setting=Keep Tool has an inbuilt Time Stamp.
I’m not sure if it is intentional or a glitch. You may have to check with GTAC.
Whatever it is these colour swapping is very lethargic. This static behaviour must be the reason behind of NX’s large assembly capability. Cat Wink

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@mike_fdo wrote:

"Apparently Boolean Subtract with the Setting=Keep Tool has an inbuilt Time Stamp." 

Yea and that's my issue with it. Unfortunately the Time Stamp setting isn't reachable with API..

Thanks for the model as it highlights the issue perfectly.

I agree that this should be reported to GTAC as an issue (bug?) or as a feature with which we would like more customization aka control over the face updated.