Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep with the right continuity?

Genius
Genius

I know that Swept does no accept continuity constraints. From my limited experience, in certain situations, the continuity can be achieved by using a guide curve with the right continuity. Maybe this is not very reliable, but sometimes there is no other choice.

Below is an example:

● Both ends of the guide curve are normal to ZX plane.

Image.png

● Three short curves are on the guide curve and used as sections for sweeping.

1. No.1 & No. 3 are on the ZX plane.
  2. No.2 is parallel to the ZY plane

Image.png

● When sweeping with only No.1 & 3 sections, the resulting face has both edges normal to ZX plane.

1. Here I suppose that the face is normal to ZX plane. Hope that this supposition has not problem.

Image.png

● When sweeping with all 3 sections, the tangency is broken!

Image.png

Question: Is there any more reliable way to create the disired surface that is based on all three sections and has both ends and both long edges normal to ZX plane?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Sweep with the right continuity?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi surfactant

I would increase the swept surface degree from 3 to 5, "sections" Degree and Tolerance,  then I would use the function "Match Edge" to correct each end of the sweep to G1, G2 or G3 to some contruction face. This will remove any doubt of the natural sweeps continuity at each end.

Regards

Paul

Genius
Genius

Hi @Paul_Hartrick   Thanks for the solution!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Your welcome. Glad it helped to get the job done.

Paul

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@surfactant,

You should be able to utilize Studio Surface for this. I'm not sure the results will be exactly what you want in regards to the resulting shape of the surface, but you can at least control the continuity. I would break the surface into smaller pieces and use another command rather than Sweep, at least for the ends where continuity is desired.

I'm not sure what the intent of this surface is in regards to quality - but a surface with 20 patches after Match Edge seems a bit much based on your previous queries. If you need the higher quality of surface, you will probably have to break this into smaller pieces to avoid the high patch count.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF, Thanks for your further suggestions!

Before reading your reply, I thought that Studio Surface can only deal with Sections and Guides cossing at the ends. It's great to know that it can also work on curves crossing in the middle.

I tr to simplify the original spline and use Studio Surface to build surface. Very good result!

But Studio Surface seems to be tricky.

● At first I use the 3 short lines as Setions, it fails.

Image.png

● Then I switch strings to make the long spline Section, it works.

Image.png

However, when I try to work on another spline, it never works.

● 3 short lines as Sections

Image.png

● switch strings

Image.png

Thanks again!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@surfactant,

You're trying to build a single surface out of a spline that's over 3 feet long in arc length....probably not the best idea.

I'm willing to bet this is a smaller part of a larger model and there has to be some sort of way to simplify this large curve into smaller pieces. Once you are able to do that, the spline segmentation should decrease and/or be easier to avoid.  Yes, you may have to play around with sections and guides to get Studio Surface to give you what you want.

Again, since we don't have the full background of this example or know how you're trying to use it, it's almost impossible to steer you in the right direction other than to point out less than desireable situations.

5 degree spline with fewer segments would be more preferred - if you have to increase the degree, then that would be OK within reason.

Again, no, this isn't going to be easy.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   I would follow your suggestions to improve it. Thanks a lot!