Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swept volume feature cannot be created

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I'm trying to use swept volume feature on the outside of a cylindrical part (not tapered).

I've created a revolved triangle as for the tool body. This body intersects the cylindrical part (bootlean set to none). I've created a helix for the path. The helix has the same diameter as the cylindrical part. The helix is constant in pitch.

Now when I'm trying to do a swept volume, the message that appears is: "Swept volume feature cannot be created". Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? The message doesn't provide much help.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES

Re: Swept volume feature cannot be created

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Can you please provide an image of the same if possible.

Best Regards

Kapil

Pioneer
Pioneer

2017-04-10 09_33_07-NX 11 - Modeling - [model5.prt (Modified) ].jpg

It now says the toolpath is invalid. 

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

To me it looks the swept volume does not work the same way swept + bollean worked.. Here are some findings from my side. Limited value of drafts were supported for the tool body used for the swept body. You can notice the discrepancies highlighted.

1_swept.jpg

Not sure how to get it to work i used swept + bollean to achieve the same result (with more draft values (the one shown below is with -8 degree draft for the tool body. (looks more neat to me)

2_swept.jpg

I would rather wait for the experts to elucidate on the same but you can use swept + bollean in case it is an urgency for you.

Best Regards

Kapil

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

thank you very much for the help! Swept and subtract is indeed a good option as well. I've tried working with this option but I can't recreate the model that I've created in SolidWorks. No matter how much I try to set-up the helix and swept settings.

2017-04-10 11_05_00-NX 11 - Modeling - [Windbackseal-NDE.prt].jpg

Any ideas?

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

can you please try the SWEPT with this setting...the vector direction will be the cylinder axis (the main body you intend to subtract the tool body off)

swept_3.jpg

Regards

Kapil

Phenom
Phenom

Profile and path must related. Before create the path, then create the profile tool adding relation between sketch curve and path.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom

I got it to work in NX 11.0.1 by setting the vector to follow the axis of the target body. I have attached the file to show what I did. 

Swept.pngSwept Solid

Scott

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Even though it is not the same situation, I found it interesting to share this example, as it has an interesting modeling strategy to achieve the final result.
In this example, as the pitch is variable and at the end is less than the diameter of the tool, the command creates a self intersection and this problem is solved initially with the application of chamfer and later using a replace face of synchronous.

If they try to remove the chamfer and then the replace face, they will notice the self intersection.

I hope it somehow helps somebody.