Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch between Model and drafting - Master Model (Nx 8)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I am using TC 8 and Nx8. Mostly of the model and drawings will be done using Master Model concept. Is there any easy way to switch between the model and the drawing. I wanted to switch between the respective model and the specification (drawing). For example, if my model name is "test" and the specification name "c_test", the switch should between these two? Is there any easy way to toggle? . May be using journal?.

Thanks in Advance

9 REPLIES

Re: Switch between Model and drafting - Master Model (Nx 8)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

does your License allow more Sesions of NX? If yes, most easy ist to open Part and Drawing in separate Sessions.

Session is one NX window.Some Licences alllow to open more windows of NX.

Try it.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for the reply. My issue is not opening more windows in NX. While working on model, if you want go to drafting, you need to go window and select drawing file, then select drafting application. In the same way, if you working on drafting model, want to edit model, go to window, select model model, then select modelling application. While working on many models and drawings, if the toggle between the windows is automated, would be greatly helpful.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry i didnt mean more windows i NX but more NX in Windows:-)

Phenom
Phenom

The only solution is a journal that use the criteria name used to generate drafting. Es: part1.prt , relative drawing part1_drw1.prt. 

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Phenom
Phenom

NX has only one file type and therefore it cannot differentiate Assembly, Part and Drawing files. So I simply consider NX has only Assembly files which could embed a Drawing with it.

In MMT (An assembly file), firstly I open the drawing and select its model to “Make Displayed Part”

In the model, by RMB in Assy Navigator, and selecting “Display Parent” would give you the option to select the Drawing to work. “Make Displayed Part” to switch back to model.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

@mike_fdo wrote:

NX has only one file type and therefore it cannot differentiate Assembly, Part and Drawing files. So I simply consider NX has only Assembly files which could embed a Drawing with it.

In MMT (An assembly file), firstly I open the drawing and select its model to “Make Displayed Part”

In the model, by RMB in Assy Navigator, and selecting “Display Parent” would give you the option to select the Drawing to work. “Make Displayed Part” to switch back to model.

Fernando, in native and under TC, NX save the master model drawing with a postfix. You can use this criteria.

Another thing is that with this method you can open closed drawing or drawing of pre-selected part in assembly navigator.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Santra-01,

It won't help you for now, but just to let you know, that in NX 11.0, it will remember in what application the file is last stored/used. So if you switch to the drawing, the application will automatically switch to Drafting. Going back to the part, switches back again to the modeling application.

Hope this helps you in the future.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Adding even one more thing to this... CTRL+TAB will allow you to switch open parts/drawings in NX 11.0. Again, not useful for your current situation, but something to look forward to in the (near?) future.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Possible non-trivial answer

You could use menuscript to add a "PRE" action to the "Application -> Modeling" and "Application -> Drafting"

That would "do the right thing"

If drafting

- see if drawing sheet in part - if so, just continue

- if not, look for file (assembly part) that is drawing, change displayed part, etc, then continue

and vice-versa

Another possibiity:

I believe drafting does NOT allow "work in context" so if you switch to modeling, then change WORK part, when switch to drafting, it may "auto" switch back to drafting part (I don't know if it changes the displayed or work part to get them to match).  this would help in one direction only

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled