Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch drawing template

Creator
Creator

Hi

I do have to work with older drawings from NX8. In the meantime our company has changed to newer methods and templates of the drawing frame. What I wanna do is keep my views and annotations and just change the drawing frame and title block. 

I just can create new sheets and copy the views. But unfortunately my annotations will not copy properly. 

is there a simple way to do it?

thank you

Urs

10 REPLIES

Re: Switch drawing template

Phenom
Phenom
Not a real answer, but that is the only way I have done it.
-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I went through this same process a couple of weeks ago. I found that if you associate an annotation with a view (with the origin tool), it will move to the new sheet with the view. Any annotations that I did not want associated to a particular view, I just cut then pasted to the new sheet and placed them accordingly.

Genius
Genius

ursus wrote:

methods and templates of the drawing frame. What I wanna do is keep my views and annotations and just change the drawing frame and title block. 

avoiding this sort of problems is one of the reasons why we still use patterns for frame/title block

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
This can be a very easy task to if you just write/record a macro to delete your old drawing format and insert a new one.This is what I did for us.
A user just clicks on the "Insert/Replace" drawing format icon in our custom Ribbon Bar, and it's done for them.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your inputs:

I still keep with the following issues:

to record a macro I need a "step by step" way to record the macro

the solution described above works almost but not 100%

one of the main problems is that I loose refrence text in the title block. So my drawing with reference to DB_Part_Name is lost when I add a second sheet.

thank you

Urs

Siemens Phenom
If you have part attributes defined for all text you need displayed on the drawing, this is no problem as your new formats can pull the part attribute information into it if you set it up that way.
Once you record your macros, you can edit them to make them more robust as needed. For example, I recorded the steps once, and then modified it to read the paper size and grab the proper drawing format size to insert automatically.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.

Legend
Legend

We have a VB programs that deletes the Old title block, WE got lucky you put the old title block on it's own layers.

So our VB goes delete everything on layer 250, then import new template part. Then the VB codes imports the new template into the drawing,

Since we are using the NX drawing borders funtion, we have to set the sheet size to "E" before we import the template, then we resize the borders down to "C" or what ever border size we need.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

we use the journal attached:

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom

Oooo...Now I want to share mine too!  LOL Here's what I use. Three programs on a ribbon bar although they could be combined into one.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.