Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronous Cut available ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

This is a sheet metal part with flanges and such:

• Is it possible in Modelling to use some kind of synchronous Cut to cut away the material inside of the sheet metal part like in photo ?
  • I have used Move Face but it is not the same.

synchro cut.jpg

6 REPLIES

Re: Synchronous Cut available ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi 12131444,

I apologize but I have a hard time to understand how a Sychronus Cut feature would be able to do this better and faster that Synchronus Move or Pull Face. In this sceanrio you describe its a matter of seconds, selection intent and maybe a bit of cleanup for undesired holes or holes in the wrong position (either pre move or post move) - however that would be the same with Synchronus Cut feature.... Could you describe your issue more in detail?

Best Regards

Fred

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I agree with Fred, can you provide a little more detail?  You may be better to add material using the secondary tab or remove it with Normal Cutout.

Then always check that the part still honours sheet metal parameters - using modeling commands on a sheet metal part may sometimes cause issues for downstream features.  Use Convert To Sheet Metal if necessary.

Dave

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

If you want to make the part shorter and you don't have a history buildup of this part I would do this in 2 steps:

- first delete all the holes that will become obsolete with "Delete Face" (Window pick)

- second window select the right portion of the part and use either "Move Face" or "Pull Face" Make sure you picked a good direction vector.

Sometimes Move Face wants to be too smart and then Pull Face might give better resultes. Trial and error.

BTW did you know that there is an Environment variable that makes you see the Synchronous toolbar in Sheet Metal?:

UGII_NXSM_ENABLE_SYNCH_MODELING=1

That way you don't need to switch to Modelling when you want to use Synchronous in the NX Sheet Metal application.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@frank_nx wrote:

BTW did you know that there is an Environment variable that makes you see the Synchronous toolbar in Sheet Metal?:

UGII_NXSM_ENABLE_SYNCH_MODELING=1

That way you don't need to switch to Modelling when you want to use Synchronous in the NX Sheet Metal application.

Out of curiosity, I set the variable...which tab thould the Synch Modeling tools be displaying?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
They won't display. You'll have to build your own Gallery of Synchronous Modeling commands for your NX Sheet Metal ribbon. You can access the commands using "Menu > Insert > Synchronous Modeling". I'm checking with the Product Manager to see if there are any potential issues associated with enabling these commands in NX Sheet Metal (as is the case with any undocumented variable).

Regards, Ben

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

The main reason for the synchronous tools not being standardly available in NX sheet metal is a very simple one;

If synchronous is used in an "unwise" manner it would be very easy to break the validity of the sheet metal model.

A few examples to screw up:

Pull one face of a sheet metal flange when wanting to move the position of a flange. Since there is no built-in intelligence the synchronous move will NOT maintain the sheet metal thickness definition. The model loses its constant thickness and is no longer a valid sheet metal model.

Delete a bend radius face: the bend loses its definition and thus all intelligence. The whole model is no longer a valid sheet metal part.

So in general one has to use his own intelligence in order to maintain the sheet metal intelligence.

One can also use synchronous tools to make a model look like a valid sheet metal part and then apply a "convert to sheet metal". It's not all bad Smiley Happy

I believe that's the reason in a nutshell why synchronous is not enabled OOTB. It's too easy to blow up the sheet metal model. "Use at own risk, you're on your own"

But if used with intelligence it can save your day. Smiley Wink

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend