Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TEXT in modeling

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi everyone,

Probably the simplest question.

I need text curves in my model. I know we have an option to insert text in 'Curves' tab but that creates the outline. I just want a single curve.

If I talk about Solid Edge, we have separate options called 'TEXT' (annotation, this one doesn't quite add the curves which can be used for path but to an extent, it's useful) & 'TEXT PROFILE' (similar to NX version of TEXT).

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
7 REPLIES

Re: TEXT in modeling

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Use the modeling text & select the font "Modern"

The other option is to create drafting text (using one of the legacy NX drafting fonts).

- You may need to remove view dependancy

- you may need to export to CGM/import CGM to get the text as "curves" you can do something with in modeling.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If I understand the question correctly (I'm not familiar with SolidEdge), it sounds like you want a single stroke font. A websearch for "single stroke font" should turn up something useful (and probably free).

Solution Partner Genius

@Ken_AModern font type did help (it's still not perfect thought, has disconnected curves in many alphabets), but that leaves me with just a single font type for all the situations. Doing more work on this and creating drafting text will add to the time.

@cowski1Yes, I just want single stroke curve fonts as you said. I know searching for and adding new font types is an option. But I just needed a command which can directly do me the same without digging in too much. What if single curves are needed for century gothic or calibri?

Paras Raina

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @Paras_R,

a 'old' (like me Smiley Happy) workaround is to be able to use drafting tools in modeling.

You can do this using the Display view command as I show you whit these images.

display.pngtext_in_modeling.png

Solution Partner Genius

@CesareI tried doing that but the text is not a 'curve', which can be used for different operations, say a swept. Moreover, I also can't adjust its orientation with respect to the face where the text needs to be placed. Is this how it's supposed to be done?

In any case, thanks for taking out your time on this.

Paras Raina

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @Paras_R,

annotation can only be put in X-Y plane, so you must orient the WCS.

wcs.png

Solution Partner Genius

@CesareThanks for the help. Although a bit time taking (compared to some command which can directly get the annotations in model), this will do it for now.

Paras Raina