Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THREAD COLOR

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to see threaded holes or cilinders in a different color or texture that the rest of the part?

I don't mean the detailed thread feature where you see the actual treads but instead just the simbolic feature in a different color. I know how to do it manually after creating the threaded hole or cilinder by assigning color to the feature but I would like NX to do it automatically for all threaded features.

5 REPLIES

Re: THREAD COLOR

Phenom
Phenom

I've submited ER of this.

mf_er_20170102.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Javiduc,

Did a quick Check on Mike's ER, and it's link to another existing ER (1983825). Feel free report your request to GTAC, and to make our life easier, name at least one of the existing ER numbers Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Legend
Legend

I apply thread colors using fastener data files.  Here is the code snippet that may give you some ideas.

Public Sub setThreadFeatureColour(ByVal threadfeat As Feature, ByVal color As Integer)
            Dim threadentities() As NXObject = threadfeat.GetEntities()
            Dim arc1 As Arc = DirectCast(threadentities(0), Arc)
            Dim arc2 As Arc = DirectCast(threadentities(1), Arc)
            Dim objects1(1) As DisplayableObject
            objects1(0) = arc1
            objects1(1) = arc2
            Dim displayModification1 As DisplayModification
            displayModification1 = s.DisplayManager.NewDisplayModification()
            displayModification1.ApplyToAllFaces = False
            displayModification1.NewColor = color
            displayModification1.Apply(objects1)
            displayModification1.Dispose()
        End Sub

I also use the same fastener data to color the cylinder faces.  Basically the code requires one to search the subtracted  body (the body that the fastener body is subtracted from to create the hole) and than apply the know color to the faces.  The code is a little more complex so it would not serve a great deal to show it here.  Sufficient to say that it is relatively easy to implement as part of any proggrammed aproach to inserting fastener features.

Frank Swinkels

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you to all! I think I will place an ER too. I've been used to have threaded holes and cilinders in different color/texture in other softwares and I find that quite helpful.

Phenom
Phenom

In NX I find there are 4 ways to apply screw holes and threads.

1. Old Method; Create a hole and then modify with Thread command.
  2. New Hole command; Combination of old method, simplified.
  3. PDW method; False Body subtraction method.
  4. Add thread to a constructed hole or Combination of above

Usage of the above depends on the user preference and their experience.

Apprently NX spends its resources to improve functionality in all those methods and each method has their own way to add dimensions which makes drafting complicated. When adding hole dimensions, first you have to go and find out which method was used in modeling and then apply it accordingly.   

1. Old Method -> use Feature Parameters command
  2. New Hole command-> Radial Dimension
  3. PDW method-> Hole Table
  4. Combination of above-> add a Note (non-parametric)

I’ve many ER submitted in this regard. For instance, PDW has its own thread symbol adding method, using face attributes but not using NX’s native “Wave Geometry Linker”’s  “Copy Thread” Settings option.  

@FrankSwinks

If you are using #3 method, and if you want to specify default colours for holes, you could simply go to the installation directory and open the basic model and change their false body colours. When you apply them, new tool body colours will appear (if specified in Customer default settings).

E.g. …\pdiewizard\standard\english\danly\screw\model\shcs.prt ; …\pdiewizard\standard\metric\misumi_pdw\screw\model\ shcs.prt

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW