Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Templates for opening noNX files

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I would like to edit the template NX is using when I open .par and .asm files from SE. Where is located or how can I select what template I want to use?

8 REPLIES

Re: Templates for opening noNX files

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Where are located blank templates and how are that files named? Thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Javiduc,

First off all, you cannot find/change the blank templates. They ALWAYS take all the properties from the Customer defaults. That is what the blank templates are designed to do.

All the other default templates you can find in the folder:

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\UGII\templates

But to be honest, I'm not sure which tempaltes are used for SE files. Maybe someone else here knows.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Phenom
Phenom

That's what it says DennisdeBrouwer that I never open the noNX files with the open command. I always use the import command.

Ciao

Cesare

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @Javiduc,

File > Open > Files of type: Solid Edge Part Files (or Solid Edge Assembly Files)

Creates NX parts on-the-fly at runtime which are populated with the data from the Solid Edge file (not a seed file).  @DennisdeBrouwer is correct that the customer defaults are also read into this file - much like if you were to create a new 'blank' template.

File > Import > Part > OK > Files of type: Solid Edge Part Files

Imports the Solid Edge data into the currently displayed part file.

So to answer your question, no, Solid Edge files that are imported into NX do not use a seed file.  You could create your own seed part file to be used as a template in future cases by creating a part, making whatever changes you need to define your template, and saving it with your existing templates.  You could then edit your pax file to use your template on demand.  You would then be able to create a new part, based on your Solid Edge template part, and import the Solid Edge part into it.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you. I would like to choose the template to create these files amon other things to check calculate mass when saving for all files. Can I do that if i can use a modified template?

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
As I mentioned, this would only work for Solid Edge files that are being imported into an existing part file (using File > Import > Part). So yes, you can create a template part that you initially open and then import the Solid Edge data into it. You can customize this template part to suit your needs, to calculate mass and so on.
The procedure would be to either use the 'blank' template, or open one of the out-of-the-box existing inch or millimeter templates. Whichever one you choose, modify the template, use Save As to give the new template a representative name and save it in the location where your existing template part files reside. Modify your corresponding model pax file to point to the new template part. Then, when you select "File > New" you can specify your new template, and once open in the session you can import the Solid Edge data into it.
There is no solution for "File > Open > Files of type: Solid Edge".

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The problem is that I need to import a complete assembly with lots of parts and I only know how to import SE parts, not assemblies. I guess then, there is no solution for my problem.

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

There is an environment variable for SolidEdge sheet metal parts that changes the import behavior:

UGII_INOP_SE_IMPORT_ONLY_DESIGN_PART

When set to 1 it will not import the flat solid body

When set to 0 it will import the flat solid body (if available).

Maybe this is useful to you.

Greetings,

Frank

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend