Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text on sketch curves outside of sketch

Creator
Creator

I have a fairly complex part with multiple sketches on different planes. Some of the curves are for reference, others are driving vectors for geometry.

When in 3D space (not in sketch), I would like to label the main sketch curves to easily see which one does what. I know that within a sketch, adding '//' at the end of a dimensions lets to add text but this is not shown in 3D space. 

Is there a method in NX where a sketch curve can be labeled with text in 3D space? Or is PMI a better option? 

Thanks in Advance

3 REPLIES

Re: Text on sketch curves outside of sketch

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Every object can have a name assigned to it using the Properties function.  In the case of a Sketch, every curve is already named automatically but they can still be edited by selecting the curve, pressing MB3, selecting Properties and then going to the 'General' tab (note that if you wish that only some sketch curves have names assigned to them, you can remove the names of other curves by using the same Properties workflow and deleting the names)

Once annotated as desired by assigning descriptive names, go to...

Preferences -> Visualization -> Names/Border

...and set the 'Show Object Names' option to 'All Views' so that your annotations can be seen.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator

Thanks John,

That works great. The only issue I see is that by default it shows the names of all the other curves and points. The only way I can see around that is to go through each one's properties individually and deleting their name. Is there a way to turn off the default naming of the curves and points?

Thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

About the best that you can do is to go to...

Customer Defaults -> Sketch -> Session Settings

...and at the bottom of the page edit all of the 'Name Prefixes so they only contain a single '.' (you can't leave it 100% blank).  The objects will still get numbered, but they will be as unobtrusive as possible.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA