Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The bundles stranglehold

Phenom
Phenom

hello,

the issue I'm posting here is not strictly a technical one, but I haven't found
a better place among community forums (very few forums, I would say, compared to
the plain old bbsnotes), so being its subject relevant to NX I'm posting this here.
Should moderators have a different opinion about that, they will kindly copy or
move this post to a better place if there is one.

The company I work for has been fortunate enough to see its business grow
over the years.
We began buying NX (UG, actually) licenses as bundles, as it seemed
more convenient at that time, but as the number of seats grew we started wondering
if that was still the case.
After mulling over the issue for some time, last year we finally decided to
analyze the actual license usage by means of a proper software, and we found
out that a license scheme made of single floating modules would have been more
convenient than bundles for our company.
It's just a matter of simple math: more seats means more efficiency in allocation
of resources.
So last month we contacted Siemens sales representatives asking to switch from
bundles to single modules altogether.
Their first reaction was "impossible", "single modules are no longer sold",
"they are no longer on the price list", then insisting a bit further it turned out
that, well, they could actually be sold and they could be on the price list.
When we finally managed to get an offer for the bundles/modules switchover we
realized that it would have been indeed more convenient for us, in terms of
maintenance fees, if it wasn't for a small little provision : we were asked to
scrap our licenses asset entirely and to completely buy it anew from scratch.
Needless to say, for a company that bought UG more than two decades ago, showing to
trust a product that at that time was not precisely seen as the top notch,
that small little provision amounts to an insult, and as such has been received
by my colleagues (I omit details of the FUD stuff also contained in the offer, such
as "beware if you switch to single modules, they could vanish overnight").
What's funny is that should we asked to do the switchover in the opposite direction
that would have been completely free of charge.

Now, all that could be dismissed as a mere sales issue if it wasn't for the striking
irrationality in such Siemens policy.

Instead of establishing a CLEAR, TRANSPARENT, upgrade path to assist companies as
their business grows, helping customers to find the license arrangement that better
suits their needs, Siemens has laid out a "downgrade path" to help companies switching
from modules to bundles, which can only be convenient if your business goes down and
your number of seats accordingly (several customers of ours use single module licenses
and none, to my knowledge, has taken advantage of such wondrous Siemens offer - they
all kept single modules).

Now, I know that "Sticky" bundles have now been introduced that should allegedly replace
single module functionalities, but they are once again bundles, they contain several
modules with contents that could not necessarily meet the need of all customers
and all modules inside are still engaged/disengaged as a whole, management is like bundles,
and - according to the documentation - they have to be released manually.
In short, they don't seem to be as efficient and convenient as single floating modules.

Today's bundles are mixed bags containing stuff that most customers wouldn't buy, should
they just be allowed to choose, and forcing customers to buy them against their interest
has turned the business relationship with Siemens into something more close to a stranglehold,
as we have no choice (nor an alternative software to switch to - it is our customers that
decide which software we must use).

I can't see any rationale in such Siemens policy other than this, if you see anything different
please let me know.

Thanks