Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The last episode of the John Baker show

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Last Thursday at the North East Regional User Group meeting. John Baker gave what will most likely be his last public presentation at a PLM World activity.  Below are the links to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKyD9vL74fQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhSEaqE-6vg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6w2HEP4CJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-pjsrPPWUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZp2vxdu2TQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvuTMx8C3iI

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace
Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race
9 REPLIES

Re: The last episode of the John Baker show

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I hope that the powers-that-be will not object, but since this thread was already here and since it was inspired by events soon to transpire, I thought it would 'borrow' it for a little fun.

I've been cleaning out my office and going through about 27 years of stuff (my first 8 years with the company are stashed away in some boxes in my garage at home but I won't get to them until well after I retire) and thought that I might share some of the more interesting things that I've been sorting through.

Most of you are aware that I travel a lot (I've got over 3.6 million miles with American Airlines alone), attending conferences, visiting customers, speaking at user group meetings and the such. Anyway, here's my collection of airline boarding passes:

Of course, if you're going to traveling that much, you must be staying in hotels. Well here's a stack of hotel card keys (the stack probably doesn't cover all of the last 27 years because I don't think cards keys have been around that long):

And where was it that I was going on these trips? As I stated earlier, mostly conferences, trade fairs, users groups, etc, and of course at events like this, you get badges and name tags:

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this bit of nostalgia. I know I did, even though it's been a bit hard to throw away stuff like this that in many ways are more representative of what I've been doing these last 35+ years, that is interacting with people in business settings all over the world yet at the some time forming friendships which have lasted decades in some cases, and recently many new ones as I made this last year's tour of regional users meetings.

P.S. I may have some other stuff to share before my last day on the job, which is two weeks from today.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom

Here's another way to represent 35 years with the company, or as you can see, many companies, but in the end it has been the same basic core organization, at least from where I've been sitting:

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom

Well I'm making progress on cleaning out my office and thought I'd post a few more tidbits. For example, this map pin-points all the places in North America that I've visited over the past 35+ year while on company business:

At home I've got a map of the world that shows all the places that I've traveled which also includes pins for the 33 countries that I've visited while on company business (like I said, I've flown over 3.6 million miles with American Airlines alone).

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom

Then there's my 'white board' which as you can see has many uses.

And here's some items to inspire you:

Flowchart.png

Anyway, enjoy.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

Awww, thanks for sharing a look back, John. I'd have thought you would have way more pins in that map of the USA!

Cheers, Paula the old I-DEAS user ;^)

Siemens Phenom

I've been all over the country, just not always on business.  Besides, there is not as much manufacturing taking place in those areas of the map which are devoid of pins as opposed to those that are not.  Even then, things are pretty sparse out in places like Thief River Falls, MN (Arctic Cat) or Forest City, IA (Winnibago).

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom

Well, my office is almost cleaned out and I've still got a couple of days to go.

One of the last things that got packed up was of course my 'Ego Wall':

Ego Wall.jpg

And then there was this, something that I suspect most machine designers will appreciate:

Design Engineer.jpg

Anyway, enjoy...

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Best of luck John.  Hope you get to spend more time with your family.

Thanks for your leadership and commitment to the customer!!

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace
Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Siemens Phenom

Well it has finally come, my last day at work. And I know it's true because when I woke this morning and looked at my iPhone, there it was, a calendar notice that I had set nearly a year ago: "My last day at work!"

So this might well be my last post here, at least as a Siemens employee (I guess I'll have to change my signature), unless of course someone posts a question or problem that I can help them with before I leave (YES, I intend to put in a full day's work before I'm forced to turn in my keys, badge, credit cards and my laptop).

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA