Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time lag when using commands for the first time

Pioneer
Pioneer

We have been on Nx9 for a while and at some stage it has devloped a lag of around 30 seconds when using some commands for the first time. This is experienced by all users here and is occuring often and seemingly randomly. For example the first time that I use the Measure Distance command I wait for 30 seconds before the dialog comes up, during this time Nx is frozen, all I see is the wheel spinning (time wasting) icon. The second time the command is used, the dialog appears intantly.

So not sure if this an Nx issue or a system issue like antivirus etc. Does anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks

Keith Irvine

Dell Precision T3610

Xeon E5-1620 v 2 Quad Core 3.7 GHz

24Gb RAM

4 REPLIES

Re: Time lag when using commands for the first time

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The first time you use a command, or more exactly an application area, it will take a little longer as NX is reading code information from the disk and loading to memory. However if this delay is more than 1 second there is some issues with the computer configuration. I assume the install disk is local to the PC and not on a network? Suggest looking at your system security and antivirus software settings.

Steve V

Experimenter
Experimenter

Something worth looking into is the size of your dialog memory file. NX keeps the last used settings/choices in dialog boxes in a file under your user profile. For NX9 you'd likely find it here:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Siemens\NX9\DialogMemory.dlx

That file can grow quite large. Resetting the dialog memory MAY improve response time. The only odd thing in your description is that it only appears to be slow the first time, not subsequent times. Anyway, it's worth checking.

To reset your dialog memory, open "User Interface Preferences" (CTRL+2 shortcut) and go to Options. There'll you'll find the button to reset the dialog memory. For comparison, however, my dialogmemory.dlx file is over 8MB and it's not an issue, but I have heard of cases where the file grew uncontrollably.

dialogmemory_reset.png

Windows 10-64 - Precision M4800 - 16GB - Quadro K2100M - NX 11.0.2.7 MP7 - Teamcenter 11.2.3 - ANSYS 19.0

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes install is local so like you say the time to load the code to memory should be quick. I'm not sure how I can investigate the local security as it is all locked out

Pioneer
Pioneer

This is an interesting suggestion as my dialog is quite large (20Mb). I have reset it and will monitor the response over the next couple of days