cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touching surface extract

Pioneer
Pioneer

First of all, sorry if it's a repost. I can't seem to find my original post.

I'm trying to find a way to extract touching surfaces from two bodies that have contact between each other. I realized the definition of the problem in topological terms is not easy especially considering rounding up/tolerance of boolean functions.

I guess the problem might be known to users who do mechanical simulation. I presume that steps would be some sort of conversion , meshing and then using unspecified nx tool that directly or indirectly can give me the surfaces that have a contact condition.

5 REPLIES

Re: Touching surface extract

Genius
Genius
Can you hide Body2, extract from Body1; show Body2, hide Body1, extract from Body2?
-Tim

Pioneer
Pioneer

It doesn't work like that. Area of contact is part of a surface of a body. 

I can make a solid in between bodies and subtract with Body 1 and 2 (and more) as tools. Then the I get solids in places where I have gaps, from that I can inderctly get what I need.

The problem is that  because of the interpolation of curves the subtract fails in touching areas...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

1) Extract faces by selecting tangent face filter and choosing any 1 face in contact area of body 1.

2) Hide body 1.

3) Go to divide face or trimmed sheet option as per your choice.

4) Select the extracted faces in faces to target (in case of trimmed sheets option) or faces to divide  (in case of divide face option)repectively based on optinon seleted in option 3.

5)  Go to boundary object option (in case of trimmed sheets option) or dividing object options (in case of divide face option).

6) Apply body face filter.

7) Select Body 2.

8) Click Apply

Done!

Genius
Genius
Where was the subtract even mentioned in your original post? My mind reader is in the shop getting repaired this week.
-Tim

Pioneer
Pioneer

9) Profit Smiley Happy

@Jay-The soution works. I have tested it out on few parts and it gives me what I need. THnak you

@TimF Sorry, I kinda presumed what you meant by the post instead of just answering the question Smiley Wink Yea I can hide the bodies. Jays versions seem to work, but I'm willing to listen to alternatives as well.