Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Preferences to Customer Defaults

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a drawing file that has all kinds of preferences set. What I would like to do is be able to apply these settings/preferences in an old legacy file. I understand that I can do this with Tools->Drafting Standard->Apply, but that presupposes that I have a drafting standard setup with all the right settings. It seems like it would be very convenient to be able to "transfer" my settings from the Drafting Preferences to a Drafting Standard, which I can then save and apply to another file.

Is this possible? If not, I imagine that I'm not the only person who's ran into this type of issue, so what are the suggested workarounds?

Bonus question: How do you delete a user-created drafting standard? I've got a couple of dummy standards I created when I was experimenting around that are just cluttering things up.

Many thanks!

5 REPLIES

Re: Transfer Preferences to Customer Defaults

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I don't believe there is a way to extract settings from the Drafting Preferences in a part file and then make a Drafting Standard from that.

It may be possible to do it with NX/Open but I've never seen or heard of it being done.

Bonus Question: Search through your NX log file for the name of your customised drafting standard. It will be listed very near the start with the path on disk where it exists.

You can then delete the .DPV files for the standards you don't want from that folder.

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I also wish Siemens would finally look into providing a tool for such a transfer. I need to get ALL my settings from my Templates - some of which were orig. done in NX1 - into fresh files from the latest version. But I can't, as I can't afford to lose anything in the process. I even contacted John Baker about 1+ years ago reg. such a tool but it came back as none available.

From current files into a new file, via standards or via some other method, such a full settings transfer really should be looked into by Siemens.

Dan Iorga
Sulzer Pumps US

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There are some mechanisms that does provide support for 'transferring' preferences from one file to another.  For example, there is something called a 'Visualization Template' which can pass all of the settings which effects the display of your models, such as lights, color definitions, backgrounds, views, faceting settings, selection settings, etc.  To create on, open a part file which has all of your visualization options set as you would like them and then go to the Resource Bar and if you have a user defined palette, open it (if not you can easily add one by right-clinking in most any of the other palettes and selecting the 'New Palette' option), press MB3 and select the 'New Entry -> Visualization Template', give it a name and hit OK.

Now when you want to assign all of your 'visualization' setting to another file, simply open that file, go to the palette on the Resource Bar and drag your 'Visualization Template' onto the display screen and all the display settings will be updated to your 'standard'.  Then just save your part and you're good to go.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The 'Visualization Template' works for the display related stuff, like you described. When it comes to dwg templates there is text size, color, decimal places, etc that need to be transferred. We need the full package.

Dan Iorga
Sulzer Pumps US

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I said that "There are some mechanisms..." and I acknowledge the usefulness of having more coverage and/or additional schemes to do this sort of thing.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA