Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition from NX4 To NX 10

Creator
Creator

Hello, in my job we use NX 4 but it is so outdated and frustrating since I've used NX 10, I'm proposing to upgrade to NX 10 but the thing is that the boss doesn't want to compromise all the work he has done in NX4, can someone from siemens (or experienced guy) guarantee/confirm me that upgrading the software will not affect all the pieces(assemblies,drawings etc) while opening them in NX 10?

5 REPLIES

Re: Transition from NX4 To NX 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

While you should definitely utilize the 'Refile' tools (check out all the options so as to get the maximum benefit during the update) so as to get properly formatted lightweight representations and all, it should be a smooth update.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator
Excuse my ignorance but, what is the ? "Refile" tools I imagine is some sort of software tool to make proper adjustments from older models, can you explain me a little bit more?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

1st I heard of 'Refile' also.

What is it, how does it work, what does it do???

Is it only for a major difference upgrade NX4 to NX10???

So many questions, hoping for more complete info.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Re:Upgrading from NX4 to NX10

In general, if there is a problem opening a part in a new version, it is a bug and can be reported so it gets fixed. 

Note if you use CAM, there was a MAJOR change in non-cutting moves in NX5, that you will be finding out about now.

John Baker has (had?) a part that was last saved in UG-II v1 or v2 (some 30 years or so old) that still opens.

Re: Refile -

Look in the folder where you installed NX.

There should be a folder \ugii\

In that folder is refile_part.exe

If you run it with no options (or with "-h" or "-help"), it will list all the options

For TC users, the equivalent is \UGMANAGER\ugmanager_refile.bat

If you search on refile_part in the documentation there are further explanations.

Basically, these prorgams update the internal structure of the part for the new version

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to add...

Why refile parts?

If you don't, NX uses equivalent tools/code to update the part when you open it in a session of NX.  So if you don't refile, EVERY user will have to wait for the "update" to happen, EVERY time they open EVERY old part.

Running the refile updates all the parts once, so user's don't have to do that themselves.

Also, (often) some parts are locked (users are prevented from saving changes).  By running the refile using a "privileged" account (one that has write access) then they can be refiled in a controlled manner (and users won't have to deal with the "this file has changed but you don't have write access" message every time they save/close parts).

Also you can get some side benefits (e.g. John mentioned the new lightweight stuff).

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled