Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Trim function disabled in NX11

Experimenter
Experimenter

Anyone else try to trim curve in drafting and it no longer is allowed?  

In my job we go to the views and add basic curves to make outer profiles around a compoenent for shop processing needs, and now I can no loner use the trim command.  

First of, why remove this ability?

Second, is there a NEW command I need to find to do this?

My Biggest pet peeve/complaint with NX is the constant removal(and/or move) of commands in the massive maze of commands.

8 REPLIES

Re: Trim function disabled in NX11

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In drafting, 'Quick Trim' command will be available only when sketch is active.

Phenom
Phenom

A workaround might be that shown in the attached image.

They are legacy commands, try to use more 'modern' commands.

Ciao

Cesaretrim.png

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The trim curve command (the one shown by @Cesare) works in drafting for NX 9 and 10, but seems like NX 11 won't allow it. I'd suggest contacting GTAC and reporting it as a regression. They obviously made a conscious decision to disallow it in NX 11, but I don't know why.

Pioneer
Pioneer

If the programmers at Siemens would stop and ask themselves how they would like the QWERTY keyboard layout being shuffled around every couple of years they might get it. Until then, it seems they'll continue to play with the layout like children with a box of crayons with little regard for anyone else.

The forced ribbon interface is all you need to know to see the truth of this - total piece of garbage that does nothing more than look cute while adding layers and multiple mouse clicks for what used to be single-layer / single mouse click execution.

I'm actually embarrassed for them for this epic misstep as a user since UGv7.

Phenom
Phenom

@GreatLakesDes,

Have Basic Curves available in Drafting - use Trim command from there.  It will be the OLD Trim command that won't give you carpal tunnel syndrome from selecting all the Keep and Discard sides - works in Modeling as well.

-Tim

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @GreatLakesDes

The Trim Curve capability was removed from Drafting in NX11.0.1, when the new-and-improved Trim Curve command was introduced.  I suspect the legacy Trim Curve command was removed from Drafting based on the assumption that no one creates curves directly on the drawing sheet any more, now that you can sketch directly in a view.  Sketch in View offers a couple of commands that let you trim your curves, and as pointed out, the legacy Basic Curves has a Trim command that can be used.  You'll be pleased to know that the legacy Trim Curves command has been restored in NX 12.0.2 (PR# 9071248).

Regards, Ben

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

@Wulfgang66,

Feel free to add your off-topic comments to the official ribbon thread, that is monitored by the NX Usability team, where your concerns will be welcomed by like-minded users.

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

And if you just want to divide a drawing sheet into quadrants, say, for 4X details on a single drawing you have to add a line and then use edit arc length to try to make intersections where once you trimmed the lines for a perfect intersection.

Yet another example of Siemens programmers not getting how their software is used. 

I can run rings around any NX12 user in 8.5 and I've already done that in side-by-side tests. I'm surprised major users like GM and Chrysler are not howling at what has become of this software.

Once Siemens forces everyone to sketch in 2D before you can extrude to 3D I'll be among the first to recommend migrating to Catia.

What an unmitigate failure to recognize user workflow in the pursuit of a "pretty" Windows-based experience the new releases are.