Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble converting sheet body to solid

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a part I created using through curves mesh that I am having trouble with. The middle body of my part remains as a sheet body even though I have used "sew" to join all sheets. It should be water tight. I even used "examine geometry" to search for sheet boundaries and it passed with no sheet boundaries. Still the part remains a sheet body. Menu>Preferences>Modeling>Solid Body is selected. 

Please help! I have attached the part. 

3 REPLIES

Re: Trouble converting sheet body to solid

Experimenter
Experimenter

I was able to fix this by deleting all my pre-existing sew's and repeating the sew process. I don't know why it fixed it but it did. Leaving this up for future refrence. 

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
It is fully possible to create a watertight sheet volume. I cannot remember how this was done but i know that the only solution was to cut it into two pieces and sew it again.

Regards,
Tomas

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If the initial sew operation results in a sheet body, future edits will remain a sheet body. For example, if you have 6 planar faces making a perfect cube and sew 5 of them together, the result will be a sheet body. Now you edit the sew operation and add the 6th face, the result will still be a sheet body. If you delete the sew feature and create a new one using all 6 faces, the result will be a solid body.

So, if you are expecting the sew to result in a solid body, check to make sure it is solid. If it is not, examine it to see where the gaps are, fix them, then delete the old sew feature and create a new one.