cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off 'shaded with edges' for a single part within an assembly

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I have a complex fixture assembly to hold a part; I have the part set to 80% translucency to help see behind it so I can better-modify dead-stops and seating points. However, the part is very complex due to curvature and many faces, which means that there are many shaded edges (which do not seem affected by the translucency setting) which obscure my view of the fixture components behind it.

I would like to be able to either turn off these shaded edges just for the part, or apply the same translucency to the edges as the faces.

I am only recently trained in NX so apologies if this question seems straightforward, but a search for similar help topics has yielded no results.

Cheers,

Alex

11 REPLIES

Re: Turn off 'shaded with edges' for a single part within an assembly

Pioneer
Pioneer
Try "Edit Display" on the bodies/parts you want to work with and check "Partially Shaded".
Then, Right-click on the background > Rendering Style > Partially Shaded.
All the bodies/parts that have the "Partially Shaded" option unchecked will now be transparent with thin blue edges. Maybe those lines do not disturb you anymore.

MSV
NX 9.0.3.4
NX 11.0.0.33

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

One option would be to turn off "Smooth Edges".  

Menu --> Preferences --> Visualization --> Visual (tab) --> Edge Display Settings --> Smooth Edges

I am attaching a small video to show the process.  This was done in NX 10.  I think it works in NX 9 also.

(view in My Videos)

Rick Hebert
NX Magician
Used NX (Unigraphics) since 1984
Houston, TX, USA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What rendering style are you currently in Shaded with Edges or Shaded?  If you're in the former, try the latter. 

May want to extract or wave link only the faces over the the hard stops and points and hide or turn off the entire part body. Then you only need to look through a skin layer of translucent faces to ref your positions. Once done, discard or layer off for possible furture use, these extracted face features.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Have you already had a look at the "See Thru" options in the view ribbon?

With the correct choice you should not see all the hidden edges highlighted.

Be aware that the translucency might work against you. So try this without translucency also.

Regards,

Gerrit Koelewijn

Genius
Genius
Hi, thanks for the reply,
This does not really achieve what I am looking for, as it does not remove or make transparent the lines that are obscuring my view.

Genius
Genius
I can see why this might work, but for my part it doesn't seem to do anything to any lines - perhaps because of the different CAD sources for both the fixture and the part.
One thing I have only just noticed is that the lines on my part, downloaded from our PDM library, has lines that are much thicker than the ones on the fixture (designed in SolidWorks, imported as STEP) - does this seem suspect to you? I think if I could make the lines thinner this would be a great help.

Genius
Genius

Broadly speaking, this achieves the goal I am looking for. However, as it applies the effect to each part in the subassembly, it becomes very difficult to distinguish fixture components behind the part. Perhaps this is simply not possibly, but ideally I would like to apply Shaded style to only select parts within the assembly.

One thing I have only just noticed is that the lines on my part, downloaded from our PDM library, has lines that are much thicker than the ones on the fixture (designed in SolidWorks, imported as STEP) - does this seem suspect to you? I think if I could make the lines thinner this would be a great help.

Genius
Genius

I'm afraid this is beyond my knowledge/capabilities within NX!