Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unassociative line feature between two points

Genius
Genius

I need to draw a line between two points, hoping that it's a FEATURE and INDEPENDANT from the two points. But it seems not to be as easy as it looks like.

● In drawing a line between two ponts, if we check "Associative", a line feature results. When the two points are deleted, the line would also be lost.

ScreenClip [1].png

● If we uncheck "Associative", a line non-timestamp geometry results. When the two points are deleted, the line would not be affected. But the line is not an editable feature.

ScreenClip [3].png

Is it possible to draw line feature between point 1 and point 2 and make it unassociative to the two points?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: Draw an unassociative line feature between two points

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't need to show up as a feature in the part navigator to be editable. Keep it as unassociative (it won't show up in the part navigator); double click on the line to edit it, you will be able to change the end point locations or change the length of the line object.

Genius
Genius

Hi, @cowski1

Oh, it's really editable as a feature. But I still have some worry about possible issues in later design work if it is kept as a non-timestamp geometry. If it's impossible to make it as an unassociative feature, let me settle on this.

Thanks for your quick help!

"But I still have some worry about possible issues in later design work if it is kept as a non-timestamp geometry."

What kind of concerns do you have? Using unassociative "basic" curves is fully supported by NX.

If you need associativity, use a sketch or associative curves. If you don't need the associativity, use unassociative curves. Each tool has its uses.

Genius
Genius

Hi, @cowski1

I find a problem with keeping the line as a non-timestamp geometry.

Later if I want to associate the line to point (5) and point (6), it's impossible to build the associativeness. The line would be an unassociative object forever!

ScreenClip [2].png

Here I use a line only as an example. The objects I use in my real design may be some 3D splines. So it's impossible to use simple sketch.

Genius
Genius

@cowski1 wrote:

If you need associativity, use a sketch or associative curves. If you don't need the associativity, use unassociative curves. Each tool has its uses.

Hi, @cowski1

You are right. Let me adapt myself to different NX tools. Thank you!

For splines outside of a sketch, use the "studio spline" command. Unlike the line command, you can make it associative (a feature) at a later time with the "make associative" option found in the settings section of the dialog.

Genius
Genius

Hi, @cowski1

I never noticed that "Studio Spline" has the "Make Associative" option.

Thank you for sharing!