Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Units in Material Library

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi, when creating a new material (NX10) how can I define Density in  Kg/dm3? It is not in the droopdown menu...density.jpg

13 REPLIES

Re: Units in Material Library

Phenom
Phenom

I can see it in your image:

Droopdown.png

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.0.27 MP1]

Solution Partner Genius

this is because I created the unit 'kg/dm3'  with the Units Manager command.

But it is saved only in this file, if I want to use this unit in a diffrent file I must create the unit again.

I have read in the Help doc that it is possible to create a custom unit file, but I wondered if there was an easiest way...

Phenom
Phenom

OK. I can't help with that I'm afraid, I just thought you'd missed the units in the drop-down.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.0.27 MP1]

Solution Partner Genius

thnk you anyway

Phenom
Phenom

@Laurus,

While in most any NX command, you can have the command's dialog open and click on the Help on Context icon which, if installed and/or set up correctly, will take you directly to the NX documentation where you can find quite a bit of information.

Straight from the NX10 docs, it says you can specify a couple of NX environment variables which should allow you to save your custom units and make them available to all of your parts, per the image below.

custom units NX10.png

I assume this is what you're after - I didn't search for how to make this the default unit since you didn't specify if that was what you were ultimately seeking or not.  You will have to restart NX or possibly your computer for the environment variable to take effect.

Hope this helps.

-Tim

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

But it is saved only in this file, if I want to use this unit in a diffrent file I must create the unit again.

I have read in the Help doc that it is possible to create a custom unit file, but I wondered if there was an easiest way...

A few suggestions:

1) Create the new unit in your model template part (e.g., model_plain-1-mm_template.prt).  It will be there for every new part you create using that template, or...

2) Create a new template part with your custom unit.  Use it when required, or...

3) Create a new part from a template.  Create the custom unit.  Import this part into any part when required (which adds your custom unit to your work part).

Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Genius

Thank you Tim,

this is what I read in the Help doc; I was looking for a way that does't require to set/change environmental variables, since they are locked and it isn't something that I cannot do by myself.

I think that BenBroad suggestions are more suitable for my specific need

Solution Partner Genius

thank you Ben, I will follow your suggestions

Phenom
Phenom
@Laurus,

Are you sure you're not confusing environment variables with Customer Defaults? You should be able to set some environment variables under Windows with your username - not sure if NX will like that but I've had success doing so in the past.
-Tim