Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update old Part to new template Desgin

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello everybody,

In our project group we updated our "ugs_drawing_templates" and the "model-plain-1-mm-template" in the folder Siemens\NX 10.0\UGII\templates.

If I try to creat a new drawing for a part which was created before the template update it does still use the old template infomration, like line colour, line thickness, fonts etc.

I guess NX store the template informatiom (fonts etc.) at that time the part was created into the part file and it doesn't update this information after reopening.

Is there a way to update part which where previously created to our new template desgin? Maybe similar to the way how you can convert inch to mm.

Kind Regards

Dan

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Update old Part to new template Desgin

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

hopefully you recorded all the changes you made.

I think your only solution is to do the same changes in a journal/API program, that you can run against "old" parts

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the master model method (i.e. the model is added as a component of the drawing file) for the drawings? If so, when you create a new drawing using your updated template, the drawing should reflect all your changes.

On the other hand, if you are creating a new drawing sheet in the model file and copying (or importing) your title block and border into the old file, the drafting preferences will be set to that of the old model. For this reason (and a few others), the master model method is considered the best practice.

Experimenter
Experimenter
We are creating the drawing in the model part itself, means I use shift+ctrl+D to creat a drawing.
A small advantage in my opinion is, that you only have to handel with one data file.

As far as I understood, there is no diffrent way than using the master model methode or change the drafting preferences for each old part itself.

Thanks for you help!

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @DanTUD,

there are some suggestions :

1. configure NX setting in a shared folder and point to this configuration for each NX computer
  2. you can use import part to set old part setting to the new template setting
  3. for old drawing, we use two custom journals to set old drawing to the new setting
  4. for visualization and color, you can create a visualization template in resource bar and journal to set all visualization
Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM