Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated NX11 now it creates .JT files as I save with .PRT ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

I Updated from NX9 to NX11 now it creates .JT files as I save the .PRT.

• How to disable the forming of .JT file ?
8 REPLIES

Re: Updated NX11 now it creates .JT files as I save with .PRT ?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

In the customer defaults.

2018-01-15_17-23-18.png

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Genius
Genius

Hi,

is it possible to turn off JT creation for assemblies, but to still generate them for single parts?

Generating them in large assemblies takes some time and we want to avoid this. If we want a JT from the assembly we can generate one manually.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It does depend on your settings for JT output. Unless you are creating monolithic JT files the JT files get created for each part only. Here is a line for the docs.

Note

When you produce a JT file for an assembly during part save process, NX to JT translator stores only the geometry defined at assembly level. It does not stores the assembly product structure in the JT file. If there is no geometry defined at assembly level, the JT file is not produced.

Also take a look at all of our JT settings to be able to get the output you desire.

JT Output Setting

Scott

Genius
Genius
Thanks for the quick Response, and sorry, I forgot to mention that a monolithic JT is being created, and I want to disable it completely. Can this be done in NX Settings or do I need to change any batch files?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The setting for that is in the configuration file for the JT translator. When are the JT files being generated for you. On save? Do you use Teamcenter and have it generate them? 

Scott

Genius
Genius
Yes, we are using Teamcenter and the JTs are generated automatically when saving and exported back to Teamcenter as a separate dataset, and correct me if I'm mistaken, there is no need for a monolithic JT to be able to view an assembly in Visualization, it builds it up from the JTs of the components using the assembly structure, so having the JTs generated each time an assembly is saved is just a waste of time.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you can view JTs of assemblies without the monolithic JT, but then that is a different process.

To me, it is easier for users if they always use the same process for every task.

Rather than:

1) If it is a component, use the JT dataset

2) If it is not a component, do (whatever)

As they may not always know if it is a component or not.

And if there is some geometry at the assembly level, they'll have to try (1), discover they are wrong, then try (2).

Altough we haven't turned on monolithic JTs in our environment (we are worried about export issues), so I don't know the performance penalty...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

To prevent assembly JT's from being created in a Teamcenter environment (that have structure only and don't contain bodies) you'll need to unset the environment variable: UGII_GENERATE_MULTI_CAD_JT

Regards, Ben