Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated assembly component not displaying?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a part in an assembly that is composed of a patterned feature.  I supressed the pattern command for this feature in the Part Navigator, and expected to see just the original instance of the feature. However, the full pattern still displayed.  It was only when I made the part the "Displayed Part" that it showed the with the supressed pattern.  If I then "Display Parent" (the assembly), it goes back to showing the part with the patterned feature (even though it's suppressed).

So why is this happening?  Why is the part display not updating in the assembly? 

Thanks for the help.

11 REPLIES

Re: Updated assembly component not displaying?

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

What kind of pattern?  Feature, Face or Geometry?

Did you WAVE link the pattern up to the assembly level?
Select "Menu > Tools > Update > Interpart Update". Is anything checked?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It's a Feature Pattern.

I actually tried the Interpart Update (update all) and it made no difference. So will there be a check mark somewhere if the part is out of date?

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that there is a WAVE link from the main assembly (a sketch) to the part.  The sketch is used to create an extrusion, which is then Feature Patterned.

"Menu > Tools > Update > Interpart Update" - check to see if "Delay Geometry, Expressions and PMI Update" is checked.
I'm able to duplicate your behavior with that option checked.
Selecting "Menu > Tools > Update > Interpart Update > Update All" forces the update, or just uncheck "Delay Geometry, Expressions and PMI Update".

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@BenBroad wrote:
"Menu > Tools > Update > Interpart Update" - check to see if "Delay Geometry, Expressions and PMI Update" is checked.
I'm able to duplicate your behavior with that option checked.

To clarify, is that with the part or the assembly as the work part?

Regardless, neither had a check mark by that setting.  In fact, there were no check marks at all.  I selected "update all" anyway, and it made no difference.

One other thing I noticed is that the extrusions that are patterned are grayed out (see below).  I thought that meant they are hidden, but for some reason I am unable to make them "Show".

part_navigator_suppressed_Feature_Pattern.png

It's a session setting, so it doesn't matter which part is the work part.
You can't the extrusions with the part or the assembly as displayed? Typically the greyed out feature means it has been hidden.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@BenBroad wrote:
It's a session setting, so it doesn't matter which part is the work part.
You can't the extrusions with the part or the assembly as displayed? Typically the greyed out feature means it has been hidden.

No, I can't display those extrusions.  I have serveral parts with a feature pattern, and they are all the same (the features being patterned are greyed out).  Is that typical of a feature pattern?

In my rudimentary example the original feature does not become greyed out. I can take a look at your part if you want to upload it.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@BenBroad wrote:
In my rudimentary example the original feature does not become greyed out. I can take a look at your part if you want to upload it.

Ben, thanks for the offer, but I think I know what's going on (or at least what caused the problem).  This assembly was cloned from another, and if you compare the part dependencies of the original and the cloned assemblies (show below)  they are very different.  The cloned assembly has parent dependancies, where it should have none.  So I must have messed something up during the cloning operation.  The original doesn't have the issue described in this thread.  So I'm going to scrap the clone and try again.  If you have any idea what I might have done wrong, please let me know.  I don't want to repeat the mistake!  I'm new to NX and at that stage where I "know enough to be dangerous" Smiley Very Happy! Thanks for your help.

032717_assembly_navigator_orig_clone.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just wanted to follow up with this.  The problem was not due to the cloning.  It was due to an assembly cut operatation that the assembly had.  Apparently when you do an assembly cut, extrusion features in the cut parts get greyed out like I showed above.  What's more disturbing though is that even if you suppress the assembly cut, the extrusions still shows this.  Surely there must be some way to undo this.  If anyone knows, please let me know.  Thanks!