Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a drawing, for a different model

DaveK 1st Gear
1st Gear

NX9 with TC 10

User has a model and drawing pair (master model concept).  We also have another model file, very similar to the first...user would like to reuse the first drawing, but associate it to the new model.

Basically it would be replacing the component in the drawing, and reassociate the dimensions, etc., but how would this be done within Teamcenter, so that it's associated to the correct item revision master?

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
10 REPLIES

Re: Use a drawing, for a different model

sdeters 1st Gear
1st Gear

I got this from Larry a couple years ago.  It is for I-Deas and drawings after they got migrated to NX.  But the same work flow should work.  You will have to fix all of the dimensions once you are done.  I think you have the first two steps done.  You can read through it and see if this is what you are wanting to do.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You can just use Replace Component in the Assembly Navigator. If the new part is derived from the original then some dimensions may retain associativity, otherwise you will need to reattach them.

Mike

NX 12.0.0 TC11.3
www.astonmartin.com

DaveK 1st Gear
1st Gear

sdeters,

I worked thru that, but I never get the option to 'paste' in the new item, after I copy the UGPART dwg from the original.

We are using a custom item type...could that be the issue, with some sort of permissions?

-Dave

sdeters 1st Gear
1st Gear

Could be a security settings I am not that strong on Teamcenter.  You may want to talk to your Admin if possible and see what is going on.  I hope this article helped you though.  It works well for us and the I-deas drawings that got seperated into two different datasets.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello All,

Sorry, but this option (replace component in NX) is no longer availible since NX 9.0. The Replace component feature was meant for assemblies, and not for drawings (and their parts). Using this for Drawings may cause problems.

As a reference you can look at the following PR:

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?si=pr-7157454 (webkey needed)

Kind regards,

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

DaveK 1st Gear
1st Gear

yeah, the article helped, in that the concept seems valid, thanks!

Now to figure out why the functionality is not there for me.

-Dave

-Dave

cowski1 3rd Gear
3rd Gear

DennisdeBrouwer wrote:

Sorry, but this option (replace component in NX) is no longer availible since NX 9.0. The Replace component feature was meant for assemblies, and not for drawings (and their parts). Using this for Drawings may cause problems.

This blanket statement is a bit misleading; it really depends on how the drawing was created.

If you have added the model as a component to the drawing file and added drafting views from the drawing file, then "replace component" is valid and available.

If, in the drawing file, you added views directly from the model file (drafting components); then "replace component" is not available since you do not have a true component to replace.

However, it appears to me that the OP wants to take the specification from one dataset in TC and use it as a starting point for a specification in a different dataset. Once the specification is copied into the new dataset, "replace component" may play a part; but it seems to me that the bigger hurdle is copying the specification from dataset to dataset.

Genius
Genius

I don't know if this started in Tc 9 or Tc 10, but to have active/available all the buttons in the Named References window, your dataset has to be Checked out.

If the dataset is not checked out, some of the buttons are greyed out.

I hope this solves your issue with the paste.

Creator
Creator
I have a similar problem except that we do not use teamcenter. So additionally is there a way to do this without TC?