Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Defined Symbol

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

Does anyone out there still user User Defined Symbols in Drafting, as opposed to Custom Sysmbols?

I like the fact that User Defined Symbols snap to the dimensions, and move with them, which unless I am mising something Custom Symbols dont.

I am currently working on an upgrade from NX10 to NX12, so any reasons as to why I shouod switch would be greatly appreciated.

Martyn, Principal CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX12 Tc12
8 REPLIES 8

Re: User Defined Symbol

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

We still use them, but we're on NX10 and we've been using them for years.

I much prefer custom symbols (and use them for anything new - much better to create *one* with editable text than 100 with fixed text ;-)

I believe the attachments to dimensions are one thing holding us back (but I have not checked in newer versions to see if this limitation still exists)

Note (unless they've changed) Siemens still uses the UDS version of the first/third angle projection symbol for the "automatic" symbol in drafting (sigh)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Ken, that confirms what I already think, and for reference I am now testing on NX12, and see no differences to the application of Custom Symbols to dimensions.

Martyn, Principal CAE Engineer, Renishaw PLC
NX12 Tc12

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Today, there are really rare use cases for custom symbols. The only real benefit I know of is the projection angle, asl @Ken_A mentioned. However, this is not inserted using the old User-defined Symbol function, but as a System text <W@$SH_SHEET_PROJECTION_ANGLE> to make it change when the projection angle of the drawing sheet changes.

I suspect that (somewhere in the future) this symbol will be replaced by a more modern representation. So today, it is not fancy, but it works.

With NX 10, we finally got automatic Dimension Breaks and Foreshortening Symbols. This eliminated the last use cases I know of.

BTW, the new custom symbols support the stacking functionality, which is REALLY cool to use. It makes associative positioning of Symbols to other annotations very easy.

Johannes

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Johannes_H,

Seems that User-Defined Symbols still have their place, IMO.

I don't see any differences with Breaks in NX11. Dimension Lines cross over Text and FCF, whether stacked or not. Text to Line Gap settings can't be applied to one side of dimension text. The only recourse is to use Appended Text and ancient Annotation Editor GD&T symbols or the old reliable User-Defined Gap Symbol to create the gap needed on the bottom of the dimension text.

NX11 Break Fails.pngNX11 - Dimension Breaks seem broken to me.Then I insert a User-Defined GAP25 Symbol & attach to the dimension and all is well.NX11 User-Defined Symbol.pngUser-Defined Symbol to the rescue.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

While I'm sure we use gaps, the case I'm more interested in (granted, I haven't had time to investigate new versions to see if it works) is adding surface finish symbols to dimension extension lines, or to label leaders.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom

The ability to attach surface finish symbols to leader lines and dimension lines has been a capability for a while now.

Here's a link to a Help topics that describes how to do this.

Siemens Phenom

@TimF ,

I know and fully understand your use case, however your gap symbols will not move when you move the Dimension Text along the dimension line, or when you move Notes/Annotations, which is typically not desired or even annoying.

When I talk to NX customers about this use case, I ask them to think about if they may want to consider changing the way the drawing looks like. The question is: Do the additional annotations really have to cross dimension lines or is it ok to use leaders or use different stacking arrangements. And the answer is not the same with every customer. Some are more "flexible" and some want the drawings "look just like this". And I also respect the latter answer, because there may also be value in it - however this value costs the usage of the old User Defined Symbols, together with the downsides.

Anyways, I recommed to contact GTAC for an Enhancement Reqeust to enhance Dimension line breaks. The more customers are requesting this, the higher is the chance to finally get it.

Regards,

Johannes

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@Johannes_H,

I agree with you however I'm at the mercy of my customer's drawing requirements. UDS's can be moved manually using Menu -> Edit -> Component should the dimension need to be repositioned.

I feel the Text to Line Gap setting should be independent (First Line, Second Line) instead of one setting for both (for cases where "Appended" text is actually stacked under the dimension in addition to an ER for improving dimension line breaks to include other types of annotation.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1