cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Assembly Constraints on assemblies outside of work part

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am trying constrain a part in a sub assembly by assemblying it to a part outside of my work part. I have changed the selection scope to "entire assembly".  All objects not in the sub assembly are still "grayed out" and not selectable. Does anyone of any suggestions?

7 REPLIES

Re: Using Assembly Constraints on assemblies outside of work part

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you want the position of one of the sub-assembly's components to be driven by an upper level assembly. If this is the case, take a look at the position override command.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

@NOberly

Override position should be used in cases where the position of a component shuld be different once it becomes part of a higher level assembly. I think in your case you have two other options:

1. You can to set 2 customer defaults: one to enable constraints referencing components outside your subassembly and the other to make them associative by creating a wave link of the selected objects:
    • Assemblies - Positioning - Interface - (Move Component) Scope - Anywhere in Assembly. This will enable you to move the component non-associatively and reference components outside the work part. 
    • Assemblies - Positioning - Interface - (Assembly Constraints) Interpart Copy toggle on. This will create a WAVE link of the selected object from the part outside the work part
  2. If your desire is to move the entire sub-assembly then make the next higher level assembly the work part and then apply the constraints there between components of the separate sub-assemblies.

Hope this helps,

Abe

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks for the help. The second bullet for option 1 seems to be my solution. Do you know of a drawback to this setting being on? I just wonder why it is off by default.

Thank you
Nate

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"Thanks for the help. The second bullet for option 1 seems to be my solution. Do you know of a drawback to this setting being on?"

The drawback is: it will create a wave link. Wave links can be difficult to manage, especially when using native NX (no teamcenter).

Experimenter
Experimenter
Ok Thanks,
My plan was to delete the wave link once I have part located.

Once I delete the constraint that wave link is broken, correct?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If you don't need it to be associative, why don't you use the first bullet point and ignore the 2nd?

Broken wave links hang around in the file and are a major source of headaches later.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

@NOberly,

As @cowski1 said, if your intent is not to have associativity back to the original component by breaking the WAVE link, then using move component would be a better choice (only set the first customer default). If this is the case, then I would suggest that you use move component using the 'By Constraints' transform type, and position the component accordingly. Then, to ensure that it does not move from that location, you might add a 'fix' constraint via regular assembly constraints.

Of course, if you plan to revive the broken link to update the component's position in case of a model change, there is nothing inherently bad about that. I would just suggest that you give the broken link an adequate name so that other people working with your assembly properly understand why the broken link is there.

Regards,

Abe