Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Attributes in Template Part Spreadsheet?

Creator
Creator

Hi,

Is it possible to include attributes in the spreadsheet of a template part?
So that if you use Edit Reusable Component, the expressions and attributes change depending on your selection.
For instance, a string attribute for Supplier that differs for each variant.
As far as I know, only expressions can be controlled by the external spreadsheet of template parts.
Being able to control attributes as well would be a huge advantage.

Part Families are able to control such attributes thanks to the internal spreadsheet.
Is this functionality also possible for template parts, that are meant to be cloned?

Below a quote of NX-documentation under Create a reusable component in Teamcenter
"A member of a part family of commercial standard parts i.e. screws, bolts, washers, and nuts can only be added by reference. Template parts are parametric components that are linked to an external spreadsheet that drive the dimensional changes, and can be either cloned or referenced."

I'm using NX11 with TC10.

7 REPLIES

Re: Using Attributes in Template Part Spreadsheet?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I'm not sure why you refer to a spreadsheet for reusable components. As far as I know only reusable objects, new type of UDF, not components may be driven by a spreadsheet. For reusable components you may have either a KRX file or create a PTS interface.

Either way, since you cannot reference the attibutes directly in the template definition, you can do it by editing expressions linked to the attributes. You might try the following:

1. Create an expression for each attribute you want to drive through the template and set it to a default value
  2. Under the Attributes tab of the part properties select an attribute you want to drive and set it to "Expression Formula" instead of 'Value' - a pull down menu will appear where the original value was
  3. Select the pull down menu and choose "Formula" - the expressions editor will appear and the formula cell for the new expression will be active
  4. Right click on the previously defined expression name (from step1) and select "insert" - The new expression will be set to the original (you may also type the name of the expression directly)
  5. Hit OK - Back in the attributes dialog, the attribute will be set to the value of the expression
  6. Repeat the above for all attributes and save the part

In the template definition file  add an entry for each of the expressions defined in step 1. You will then be able to set a new value for each of the attributes by editing the value of the linked expressions.

I hope this works.

Regards,

Abe

Regards,
Abe

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I believe if you add the attributes to the catalog (customer defaults -> Gateway -> User attributes -> "All" tab -> "Templates - Attribute Templates Catalog Name" - specify location of XML file containing attributes)

You can then go ahead & use them wherever (as they "exist", even if they have no value)

But note that EVERY part will have these attributes (if that makes a difference to you)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
What kind of reusable object are you going to make?
If it are default components like screws and bolts you can better use part families.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the replies.

Abe, I use reusable components with a krx file and a spreadsheet driving the expressions.
I don't know of the PTS interface. Isn't this a seperate module?

And yes, the method you mention works fairly well. The only problem I had is that the attributes I want to control are custom teamcenter integrated attributes and that the formula links were broken when I closed and re-opened the part. But I found out that if you change the TC/NX mapping file of that attribute to master=cad, the links will be preserved. I was wondering if I didn't have to take this little detour of expression->attribute, and control the attribute directly, as I am able to do with part families. 

Ken, the attributes are custom teamcenter integrated attributes, so they already exist on every part.

Ruud, Part families can only be referenced. I want to be able to clone the template parts.

For instance: aluminium extrusion profiles with width, height, thickness (expressions) and supplier info, article no (attributes). These parts need to be cloned for further modification, cutting length, holes, etc. If a different section is needed, you could choose "edit reusable component" and pick another entry from the spreadsheet, so the supplier info matches the part.

Kind regards

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @SteffenDS,

I was wondering if I didn't have to take this little detour of expression->attribute, and control the attribute directly 

All you need to do is enter ATTRIBUTES at the top of your spreadsheet and then set the parameter column that you want to drive the attribute's value in angled brackets.  For example:

ATTRIBUTES
Supplier=<supplier>
Article No=<articleNo>

PARAMETERS
width   height   thickness   supplier   articleNo
25      250      2           ACME       ABC123
25      500      2           Stark      DEF456
25      500      3           Oscorp     GHI789
50      250      2           Globex     JKL321         

Test part file, spreadsheet and krx file attached for reference.

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

@BenBroad, thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed! Works like a charm.

I don't know if I was looking in the wrong places, but I never saw this information about attributes in external spreadsheets before.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @SteffenDS,

I've noticed it in the spreadsheets that accompany the standard parts in MoldWizard.  For example:

%UGII_BASE_DIR%\MOLDWIZARD\electrode\blank\metric\data

This page in the MoldWizard documentation explains the usage:

Edit the standard part database

Regards, Ben