Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilizing Datum Planes For Assembly Constraints

Creator
Creator

Hello all,

I have recently made the change from Solid Works to NX 8 - quite the change I must say.  So many more steps are needed to complete similar tasks.

Something that has changed drastically for me is the lack of being able to use datum planes (both the XYZ and user-created) as points for assembly constraint.  I have been designing for however many years with the placement of planes being crucial to the design.  Now that I have begun using NX, I am seeing that planes that I create in a sub part/sub assembly do not show in the assembly (I have changed the reference set to "entire part" already) nor am I able to constrain a plane to another plane.

What am I doing wrong?  Not to play the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" card, but I have been designing around planes for entirely too long for me to do a 180° in my habits.  Please help!

Thanks!

-Tyler

11 REPLIES

Re: Utilizing Datum Planes For Assembly Constraints

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Using datum planes in assembly constraints is allowed and a perfectly valid approach. If you have changed the reference set to "entire part" and still cannot see the datum planes, make sure that

1. the datum plane isn't hidden
  2. the layer that the datum plane is on is shown
  3. the component may need to be "fully loaded" to access all the geometry (if it is "partially loaded" - right click it in the assembly navigator and choose open -> component fully)

When selecting objects during constraint creation, make sure that your selection filter does not exclude datum planes.

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your help.  It looks like I had overlooked the "partially loaded" flag on the open screen.

Is there a way to use the datum planes at the XC, YC, and ZC for assembly?  I generally place the origin in a specific place so that part features are related to this point.

If you want planes at XC, YC, and ZC I suggest the use of a datum csys; and yes, those planes can be used for assembly constraints. A datum csys is just 3 planes, 3 vectors, a point, and a csys object all packaged together into a single feature.

Creator
Creator

Perfect.  Thanks!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey i'm having the same question but i cant find out what you mean whit the "partial loaded" flag , could you be so kind to upload a picture ? i put a lot of datum planes in my par files i have a sub assembly that has to become into a bigger one and i need those datum planes for a quick constrain.

many thanks

When you open an assembly, there is an option on the open dialog to use "partial loading". If this option is turned off, all the components will be fully loaded. When partial loading is used, only the objects required to show and constrain the component are loaded into memory; this can help minimize memory usage but often leaves datums and sketches unloaded.

If you use partial loading, but want to fully load a component you can right click on the component (in the assembly navigator) and choose open -> component fully. Alternatively, making the component the display part will also fully load it.

The screenshot below was taken in native NX.

open_partial_load.png

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for the answer, i think if i reopen the whole assembly it should pop up. the other option i cant find yet or am i doing something wrong ?

If the open fully option does not appear in the RMB menu, it means that the component is already fully loaded.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

And note you can set the default behavior in Menu -> File -> Options -> Assembly load options (if you don't have any parts open, there is an "Assembly Load Options" button on the ribbon to get to the same place)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled