Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Parts

Experimenter
Experimenter

I think design is the right forum for this, but apologies if Im barking up the wrong tree.

I have created deformable part (in my case air tubing) and have multiple instances of that part in the same assembly.  Each instance of this part will be a different length (i.e. one run of the tubing may be 30" while the next is 150"). 

Is there a way for my parts list to reflect the sum of all the individual run lengths rather than the # of instances in which that deformable part was brought into the assembly? in other words in one assembly i might wind up with 25 feet of total tubing and i want the parts list to reflect that total length instead of the 6 individual pieces that make up the total.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Brian

4 REPLIES

Re: Variable Parts

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
I've only seen this done with the Routing Bill of Material (BOM).
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:bill_material_bom_overview

Experimenter
Experimenter

When i try using a routing BOM I get a message that says " cannot create multiple parts lists when the UGII_UPDATE_ALL_ID_SYMBOLS_WITH_PLIST variable is turned on.." 

Any idea where I can find and adjust that variable?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
You won't be able to use the Routing BOM with what you have. I was simply pointing out that it is possible with that type of BOM, rather than the standard Parts List functionality. To use it with Routing you would have had to create swept geometry (stock) along a path using the Routing commands and the geometry needs to be assigned special attributes in order for the total length to be calculated. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Ben

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I think you can do what you are after using the parts list and the quantity function. I made a video a while back showing how to show a total mass for when multiples of the same component. https://vimeo.com/106565338 In your case, if you make an attribute for the length, then use that for the column, the quantity function will add up the individual lengths to give a total length.
Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2