Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vary sketch dimension dynamically?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is it possible to vary a dimension dynamically to see its effect (like you can in SE with the scroll wheel)?  It's a nice way to check if constraints are working the way you expect.  The only way I know to do that in NX is to key in difference dimension values, which is awkward.  

Thanks!

8 REPLIES

Re: Vary sketch dimension dynamically?

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

In the sketch task environment there is a command called "animate dimension" that will show what happens as the chosen dimension changes value.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks! That's pretty cool, although not quite as handy as using a scroll wheel. But I guess it will do for now.

I seem to remember a dialog that had a slider on it that you could use to manually vary the dimension - still not as convenient as the scroll wheel, but offering more control than the animate command. I didn't use it often and now I don't remember where that dialog is.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I think if you use the explicit 'Edit Dimension' (or something like that) function that you will be given an optional 'Slider' to edit the value of the constraint dimension.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I found it. It's called "Edit Sketch Parameters" (under Menu > Edit). Thanks for the suggestion.
It works similar to the other except with a slider. If you could keep it pinned in the graphics window or side bar it would be reasonably convenient. Long term it would be nice to see NX adopt the scroll wheel method SE has. That's about as easy as it gets.

It looks like if the dimension expression is a simple value (not a formula), you can hover your mouse pointer over the slider and use the mouse wheel to change the value.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Once you use Edit or Edit with Rollback for sketch, Select the sketch in part navigaotr > RMB > Edit Parameters. It launches the same Sketch Parameters window. 

Regards,
Ganesh

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ganesh_Kadole wrote:

Once you use Edit or Edit with Rollback for sketch, Select the sketch in part navigaotr > RMB > Edit Parameters. It launches the same Sketch Parameters window. 

Thanks for the tip.  That is faster and will make it easier to use.