Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vice in an assembly

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We have a Kurt vice modeled, that our CAM guys use.  Since we are still in a migration from Solidworks to NX, I was wondering the best way to setup this vice, so they can use one vice assembly, in multiple setups, and move the jaws as needed.

My first thought was a deformalbe component, but it didn't appear I could set it up using only a single expression.

We could do an over ride on the assembly constraints, but I think that might be a bit much for the new users.

I need to keep it as simple as possible for them.  Thoughts?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
23 REPLIES

Re: Vice in an assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you only ever use ONE copy of the vice assembly in your setups (or at least 1 jaw distance) you could use interpart expressions in the "driving" direction.

I.e. you have NC program part CAM and you have vice assembly part VISE (then in the VICE part you have an expression Jaw_Distance which is used to control the jaw distance)

In part CAM you can have an expression

VISE::Jaw_Distance = 1.23

(so CAM forces the VICE expression Jaw_Distance to the value 1.23)

But I think deformable parts would be better, as each instance of the vice assembly could have a different distance.  You shoud be able to define the vice assembly so one expression controls everthing...(unless I'm missing something)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom

Deformable component only seems to allow expressions related to a "feature" you are deforming, and not an expression used by an assembly constraint.

-Dave

Are sketch expressions allowed?

Create a sketch with a single line & exprssion for length, then hide the sketch & use the expression for the constraint?

If not, create a block & hide it (or remove from reference set or whatever).  As this is for CAM, you COULD set it up that the block can be used as the blank geometry for machining (kill 2 birds with one stone!)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom

Sketch is an option, but I attempted to do it with a block.  Everything went good, until I added it to an assembly, and I was told things weren't allowed.

More experimenting to be done.

-Dave

Are all of the solids that make up the vice in a single part file? If so, I think you could use an expression to drive a "move object" (or possibly a synchronous "linear distance") command and use that expression in your deformable part definition.

If all the parts are in separate files and the vice is a true assembly, then I think override position is your best bet. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can make a "deformable part" from an assembly.

Gears Phenom

It's an assembly, and I am leaning towards it not being possible in an assembly.  I'm just afraid that "over ride" will be confusing for them, it gets confusing for me, when I haven't used it for awhile.

-Dave

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

You could try a reusable part. I had a customer ask the same question yesterday.

I made a video for him to show how I did it, so here's the link to download it:

https://phoenxplm.sharefile.com/d-sc493795eca244c98

The file will delete in 28 days so get it while it's still there.

May not be the right or best answer, but it works.

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If this is a simple assembly, use constraints to position the vice jaws.  If you use a Distance constraint you can then drive the location of the jaw by editing an expression.  Alternatively, if you're simply looking for several different locations as 'laternatives' then you should probably look into using Arrangements.

Whatever, I suspect that 'deformable parts' are NOT what you should be looking at.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

FWIW (a similar thread from eng-tips):

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=355787