Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Void into solid from complex solids (NX10)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I`m working with NX 10 and here`s just a quick question:

Is there any way how to convert "open" void (of a quite complex geometry) of multiple solids into a single solid? Also considering that the model one is working with is an imported from a .step-file.

As an example the following case (compared to the modell I`m working on, this one is actually rather easy one):

void.JPG

Any ideas appreciated.

Greetings

Eugen

5 REPLIES

Re: Void into solid from complex solids (NX10)

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Let me make sure that I understand the question. Assuming a "tool body" was subtracted from your block which creates the pocket outlined in red, you want to essentially recreate the tool body. Is this correct?

If so, I'd suggest extracting a copy of the pocket faces, then "capping" the result (looks like bounded planes would work for your example) and sewing all the sheets together to form a solid body. If the cap surfaces are not planar, you might make use of the fill surface, bridge surface, or through curve mesh features (among others).

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You may want to look at the Synchronous Modeling 'Delete Face' command, if you are wanting to get rid of the 'voids' on the part.

Siemens Phenom

@RonY, I thought the same thing, however, I don't think the intent is to remove the void.  I believe @EugenH wants convert the void to a tool body without using an application like MoldWizard.  What *would* be nice with the Delete Face command is if it could build up a tool body while you're deleting faces, similar to how you can use Delete Face to create an internal body representing the volume inside a vessel.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

The kind of voids (pockets) shown might not be filled in a single shot..

These are two options i might try in NX10

(A)

(1) this is a simple block (sorry i know the geometry you have is complex) with holes..111.jpg

(2) Extracted a copy (non-associative) and deleted the holes.112.jpg

(3) used subtract to get the result.113.jpg

(B) second option will be to use EXTRACT REGION ...this will defintely work faster..

114.jpg

(2) Use delete edge to get rid of unwanted edges (holes edges) and try to make this a solid..

115.jpg

(3) Use subtract as in above case.

Regards

Kapil

Experimenter
Experimenter

First of all: thank you guys for the hints.

Once I`ve got the time I will try those out and tell how it went.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Regrads

Eugen