Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wave linking a body -how to remove original?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If I wave geometry link a body in an assembly, I end up with two bodies superimposed on each other. Although I can hide the original, I assume it's still treated as a solid body and part of the assembly.  What I would like to do is treat the original as a reference body (since it's driven by sketches that contain all the design intent), but not have it be part of the actual assembly.  Is there any way to do that?  

The other option is to wave link the sketches, but then I end up doing duplicate extrudes.  Thanks!

8 REPLIES

Re: Wave linking a body -how to remove original?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Perhaps "Promote Body" would be better suited for what it appears that you're trying to do.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am not sure what you want to do, but you can also insert in the assembly a part that contains a wavelink to the original part without having the original part in the assembly.

As often as I can, I try to represent what happens in real life (manufacturing proccess). If the part is assembled, welded in a state and after assembled the part is modified (machined, bend...) I use promote body, so the part file that is a component of the assembly file has its geometry in the same state that the part has in real life and only is modified in the assembly. If I try to represent a part that when assembled is already modified...or whatever evolution you need from the original part, then I use wavelink out of the assembly environment because in real life the modification happens before the assemlby is created.

In only use wave link in assembly environment to obtain auxiliar geometry that not represent the real product I am designing but tools... this sometimes I also do in part environment (wavelinking to obtain tools, references to position elements...)

Obviously this is valid for the product I design. Maybe there are other products, industries where my aproach is not valid.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@JohnRBaker wrote:

Perhaps "Promote Body" would be better suited for what it appears that you're trying to do.

Thanks John.  I don't know how Promote Body works (never used it) so will look into it.  

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Javiduc,  Thanks for the response.  I normally try to model in a similar way (have the model follow expected fabrication).  But in this case I'm not.  My assembly contains some parts that are probably best modelled with a Part Family because of their similarity.  However, I decided to follow a top down approach and model all the parts within the context of the assembly.  I thought that would be more robust.  The parts that are similar use a common sketch profile.  So my plan was to pattern that profile (in the sketch), which would place instances in the proper orientation for each part. Then wave link each profile instance to its corresponding part file for extrusion and final feature modifications.  

The alternative I was exploring here was to extrude the original profile and pattern the body (base feature) instead.  Then wave link those bodies to each part file for final feature modifications.  That would eliminate some extrusion operations, but then I have the complication of what to do with the original bodies.   So I think I may just stay with my original approach.

Btw, I though wave geometry links could only be done in an assembly environment, unless one had the WAVE control license.  Is that not the case?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@pkelecy wrote:

If I wave geometry link a body in an assembly, I end up with two bodies superimposed on each other. Although I can hide the original, I assume it's still treated as a solid body and part of the assembly.  What I would like to do is treat the original as a reference body (since it's driven by sketches that contain all the design intent), but not have it be part of the actual assembly.  Is there any way to do that?  

The other option is to wave link the sketches, but then I end up doing duplicate extrudes.  Thanks!

Create Wave Link body and rather than hiding the original component, you can replace it with 'Empty Reference Set' so that original component geometry will not be visible in UI. Thereafter, if you select the component in ASN it will not load as it will be an excluded reference set (Empty).

As John mentioned, You can also use 'Promote Body'. The advantage of using it is you can make changes to the promoted body at assembly level. Now if you hide the original component or replace it with an empty reference set, the promoted body will also get hide from the UI. At any time you can convert the promoted body to linked body (Double click it in part navigator and select Convert to Linked Body option) which then will be same as wave linked body.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Ganesh.  I've decided to stay with wave linked sketches for this current model.  There aren't that many parts involved, and I'd rather keep it simple (even if it requires creating a few more features in the part files) until I'm little more comfortable with NX.  But I appreciate the feedback.  I least I know what's involved, and I definitely plane to explore this further at a later time. Smiley Happy

Creator
Creator

1. Just a thought from my side is ,create a wave link body move that to one particular layer and the original to other layer ,Switch on the layer of wave linked body and hide the main body .

or

2. The best way is ,while creating the wave linked body you will have an option called "Hide Original " see attachment

Hope it was helpfull

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I would also remove the original component from the reference set that the saved body is part of.  Eventually someone will change it from "empty", to "model", and the second body will be displayed.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10