Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What Car Is Created Using NX?

Legend
Legend
http://www.carnewschina.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/beifang-china-5.jpg
Rob Newcomb, Design and Engineering manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2020.0
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Creator
Creator

Hi Mike, may I know what is your job at Aston Martin? Are you a 3D modeler of the Aston Martin  car? If yes, what area of the 3D modeling is it, interior or exterior?

Genius
Genius

Hi Adree, I am the NX CAD administrator so I don't do any of the modelling.

Mike

NX 12.0.0 TC11.3 VMU 11.3

Creator
Creator

Mike, could you please tell me who is the 3D modeler at Aston Martin?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, compliments to everybody for showing endless patience with all the questions of Andree. He seems to be a curious guy, who knows not much about the whole car styling and design process.

I would say, there are not many unstyled cars, but there are many of bad styled cars everyvhere aroud. Even some very expensive cars demonstrate nowadays the degraded taste. Although I don't know they current projects, I can say, that Aston Martin is an exception - a nice example of good styling.

Kind regards, Pavel Jiricek

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

You can learn some about car styling, and who certain stylists are, at the major OEM's here:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I am getting more and more curious about our fellow Adree, Who are you and why these questions ?

Regards ,

Tomas

Creator
Creator

Because I want to learn how to create a car properly using NX directly from the professional person rather than taking a course such as surface modeling course. My main purpose is want to be an expert that able to create a car using CAD software such as NX.

Experimenter
Experimenter

That's very interesting stuff to know about. Thank you so much for the valuable information.

Highlighted

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Possibly going a bit deeper into the subject and for those that may wish to know.....

This isn't the case 100% of the time, but most major automotive companies use software more geared towards organic (styled) surface modeling to create what is commonly referred to as the A surfaces (or Class A) or in this case what some are referring to as styled cars. These surfaces may consist of but are not limited to all of the auto body (outside) surfaces as well as the majority of the visible interior surfaces. On occasion, the exhaust tips will fall into the styled surface category as well. They are often completed in Styling Studios, Departments or any other area that has a fancy name that makes them sound creative (they do have to market themselves a bit, just like everyone else) - no offense intended, their job isn't easy at all and could be called somewhat of a dark or lesser known art.

Two of the more familiar names of software used to do this type of surfacing would be Alias (Auto Studio - concept sketches through final styling freeze surfaces) and ICEM which I believe is now part of CATIA (meaning it's a purchased addon). There may be other softwares, but those are a couple of the historically big players in the automotive industry.

Typically, design begins with concept sketches and may make its way to some form of physical model (like a clay model) which could then be scanned (think CMM or laser type of scanning). Next the scan can be imported into the surfacing software where rough surfaces can be created and then refined to where the surfaces are more visually appealing or are created to a higher quality of surface. Once all the big money making decision makers give their thumbs up and all the so-called artists are happy, the surfaces are frozen (meaning they don't want them changed) and can then be handed off to solid modelers who then fight to get these often impossible surfaces turned into solid bodies using your typical mechanical modelers like NX or other software.

The difficulty going from surfaces to solid is totally dependent on the complexity of those surfaces (shape). Some are not so difficult, while others need to be massaged a bit to get where they need to be.

This isn't to say that softwares like NX or CATIA can't do the styled surfacing job - they just typically aren't used in the larger companies (like Honda, GM, BMW, Toyota, Ford, FCA, Nissan, etc., etc.) and that's a completely different story and possibly debate.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7