Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your 3D Annotation use cases and workflows?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I'm new to 3D annotations, and I'm interested in it's use cases, best practices, and industry standards.

• What are you using 3D annotations for in your workflow and why? If you could share/explain some examples with me, that would be awesome!

More specifically my questions would be:

• Do you use 3D drawings in themselves too, without any 2D views? If so, why?
  • Do you actually annotate directly in 3D view? If so, why? If not, why?
  • Specifically, what details are best to annotate directly on the 3D view, if anything?
  • If you annotated directly in 3D view, can it be used in 2D views too? And vica versa? If so, how, what’s your workflow?

If you could answer any of these questions it would be helpful.

Thank you in advance! Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What are your 3D Annotation use cases and workflows?

Experimenter
Experimenter

No replies so far Smiley Sad I'm interested in 3D annotations, because I want to know in which cases is it the most use-full (collaboration? manufacturing? modelling process?)?

So if you could explain that how do you use 3D annotations in NX (or perhaps SolidEdge), it would be helpful for me! Smiley Happy

cad-drawing-mechanical-part-5.png

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Kapor ,

3D annotations in NX is called as PMI (Product and Manufacturing Information). 

Introduction to PMI in TDOC says:

One of the benefits of PMI is that when added to a 3D model, it can be used by downstream applications for manufacturing, assembly planning, variational analysis, inspection and collaboration. PMI created with NX complies with industry standards for 3D digital product definition, and 3D models with PMI can be used as a replacement for drawings.

You can display PMI information in any model views in the part file and at any level in an assembly structure. You can use assembly filters to control which PMI information contained in component parts is displayed in an assembly.

Also check some below links: 

(view in My Videos)

• NX CMM: Link to PMI Feature

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Kapor 

Google for 'Model Based Definition (MBD)' and 'Model Based Enterprise (MBE)'. You will get sufficient useful links to understand about it.