Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What datum do WAVE Geometry linked objects use?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm new to NX and am trying to understand how WAVE linked objects are oriented.

If I create a new part in an assembly and then create a WAVE link to, say, a curve or body in another part, when that curve or body is brought in to the new part, is it oriented relative to the work coordinate system of the new part?

I ask because I want to WAVE link to a sketch component in another part, but  I want to change how it's oriented in the new part.  So I'm wondering if reorienting the Datum in the new part would accomplish that.  Would it?

Thanks for the help!  Pat

7 REPLIES

Re: What datum do WAVE Geometry linked objects use?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

It's orientation is based of how the components are assembled to each other.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

WAVE links are designed to stay right on top of their parents in the assembly. If you move the component that contains the WAVE link, then the link in the component will update and move in the opposite direction to compensate for what you just did. The linked geometry is coincident with the original geometry in the assembly.
The relation between the link and the original objects is maintained through the assembly structure. Every subassembly between the link and the original geometry will have an impact on the position of the WAVE link in the part. When you read it like this it might sound complicated, but you should imagine walk up the structure from the WAVE link until you reach a common parent and then walking down the assembly structure until you are at the original geometry. This is how WAVE updates its position.

The answer to your question is: links are created in the workpart in context of an assembly. The position of the linked object is calculated based on where the original object is in the assembly relative to the workpart absolute origin.

First try to grasp this concept before diving in deeper. There is more, but I advise you to stick with the simple concept if possible.

After you have tried standard links, then you can investigate the usage of position independent linked objects. These are linked objects that you can move around. Most designs can be completed without using position independent links.

Have fun!

Regards, **bleep**

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the detailed explanation.

I understand now that linked objects essentially follow the originals. So what I was thinking won't work.

The problem is that I'm trying to develop a top-down model of a device that contains components, some of which have common features (shapes). Those parts might be better modeled using a part family, but my thought was that a WAVE link would be easier to maintain and update. This model will eventually be used with an FEA code for parametric design optimization. So parameter updating needs to be robust.

The main components I wanted to reference in a different orientation are sketch curves (closed profile). Is there a better way to do this?

Siemens Phenom

For a top down design WAVE is a very good solution. It sounds like it would work. Can share a simple example?

Regards, **bleep**

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If the link is made with WAVE interface link instead of WAVE geometry link, is shouldn't be independent of possition of the part in the assembly?

Siemens Phenom
Hi,
Interface links and regular WAVE links are not different. There is an option in the dialog that allows you to choose to make the position independent or not.
The interface linker is only an easier way to select interfaces from components. It results in the same linked feature.
Regards, **bleep**

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't believe you can make a link position independent without the (expensive) WAVE license. At least the option isn't there on my setup.

Below is an example of what I would like to do.  It shows the graphics window of a new part with a link to a curve the part will use.  The curve comes from a sketch created in the main assembly.  I would like to reposition the curve by rotating it about the z-axis by a certain angle.  Assuming this can't be done directly without a WAVE license, one thought I had was to pattern the curve (with 1 copy).  It's ok if the original stays.  But I'm open to other suggestions.  Thanks!

linked_curve.png