cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is better practice, sepparate or unique file to drafting?

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

I´ve been using NX since two months ago and I´m accustomed with Solid Edge logic that part and drawings have different files. NX has two options to work, sepparate files such as Sold Edge and work with unique file. What is better practice to work?

7 REPLIES

Re: What is better practice, sepparate or unique file to drafting?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @bauler,

The concept that you're referring to is called Master Model in NX, where your 3D data (your master model) can consist of a single piece part, or an assembly.  The "non-master", the drawing/manufacturing/analysis part can then be worked on by a separate user while you continue to concentrate on the model (concurrent engineering).

Some companies choose to revise their drawing data separately from their model data.

Another consideration is file size and management of your resources.  If you're working with a very resource intensive model do you want to load it in session each time you want to work on the drawing, or partially load it without the parametric data?

Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Creator

Hi @BenBroad, I understanded your explanation, but I´ve tried to separate the drafting but I can´t setup the template to get attributes from Master Model such as both on same file. I found INSERT ATTRIBUTE OBJECT command, but the process is not automatic, I need to edit the text, take the command and then define attributes, one by one. Do you know if this is the only way to do it?

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hello,

With Master Model (working with references models) there comes the possibility to work with replace component(especially Tool Manufacturers). This prevents you from recreating the whole drawing if design changes ("Saves as" is always the 2nd best solution)...
For many of our customers this is the most imported fact, using Master Model and not working with Non-Masters.

Solution Partner Legend

Did you try to declare the desired attributes in the template part?
For Example:
You would like to have the "Customer" in a cell in the titleblock.
1.Open the Template Part-File
2.Create an attribute "Customer" - "xxxxyyyyzzzz"
3. Import the created attribute into the cell
4. Save and Close
5. Create the same attribute "Customer" - "aaaaabbbcccc" in the model-part
6. Using Master-Model-Concept (File>New - Tab)

Automatism should work.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Also, take a look at the following pages in the documentation to see if they help:

Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Creator

Hi @AndreF! Could you explain better how to do it? I've tried but not successfully.

Solution Partner Legend

Hi,

In the attached video there is a little example for working with attributes in templates. The last answer in my post from before was not the answer to your question. Sorry about that.

Hopefully that new answer helps you more...

greetings,

Andre