Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to wrap a surface texture onto a body?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm interested in creating class-a surfaces that are complex and also follow a pre-specified form, like is seen in the below picture. I am having trouble getting this to work well at all, especially with more complex geometry.

Currently, I'm making a plane with surface features and global shaping it to the body. This is not working great, especially when trying to re-integrate that into the body, since patches and trims often fail. It also distorts the texture a good deal.

This is of course an NX forum, but I also am open to suggestions of other programs to do the surface on.

Thank you!

jawbone-up3.jpg

4 REPLIES

Re: What is the best way to wrap a surface texture onto a body?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi vinitlee,

We generally use rendering tools for this. Using decals/material textures (advance visualization)..

provide a good tool for providing visual textures/patterns to solid bodies/faces etc.

do let me know if this link works for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ACdlqpcXnE .

If you want to physically apply the texture...i am not aware of anything else (perhaps global shaping is a good tool which you are already using)

Best Regards

Kapil

Experimenter
Experimenter

No, I mean physically apply the complex surface for use in a production model. This is done manually in many simpler class-a examples, such as auto bodies' creases (swept/lofted and trimmed).

However, I'm asking about complex, regular surfaces that you can't simply sweep along a particular set of curves to get a good looking result (or, at least, the curves required would need to be headachingly complex), such as the ones on the front of the devices in the picture. The profile is varying, G3, and also following a fairly exact contour for the body shape.

I assumed that this would be something that's done fairly often, as I use products that have surface textures all the time that aren't simply embossed.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

I got your point now. I too have worked on some class-A surfacing projects but frankly speaking never tried embossing/wrapping anything like the textures you mentioned.

We just created patches for everything possible manually using surfacing tools which gave us a better control on continuity and other quality checks.

i am not sure if higher order continuities (G2/G3) can be nicely controlled for the wrapped textures.

But still i would let experts express their opinion about it first. If you have some industry examples i would surely love to try it out.

Best Regards

Kapil

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hello,

Try using NX realize shape, here is a good introduction about this technology.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Knowledge-Base/NX10-Realize-Shape-Get-Star...

~Sen