Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the correct strategy for closing a displayed part that is in an assembly?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, I often have an assembly on-screen and will also have parts that are in the assembly open in a different window.  If I'm making a minor change to a part when I'm in the assembly, I'll just make the part the Work Part and then make the assembly the Work Part when I'm done.  But, if I'm making a major change, I'll select a part in the assembly and pick "Make Displayed Part" to open it in a new window.  When I'm done making changes in the part, I'll close that window.

Is there a correct strategy or command that I can do so that after I close the window for the part, the part is still displayed in the assembly?  At this point, when I close the part, it's no longer on display in the assembly.  Hopefully, there's just something I'm missing, because now it is very inconvenient to search through the model tree, find the part again and then make it visible.  It's especially inconvenient if that part is included in a sub-assembly that's buried down in the model tree/assembly navigator.  Thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: What is the correct strategy for closing a displayed part that is in an assembly?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

When you close the part it gets unloaded and will not be visible in the assembly (as you have already discovered). Yes i admit searching down the list of parts (when you have already displayed lot of parts) is a bit cumbersome some times (when there are lot of components in the assembly).

Starting NX11 you can use switch windows (which gives you thumbnails also) and makes it more convenient for selecting the part you wish to make a displayed part)

switch.jpg

Also if you wish to work by making the component a work part ...and you feel the working space is too cluttered...try this setting ( Man Happy please reset it to default once you are done).

visual.jpg

Best Regards

Kapil

Re: What is the correct strategy for closing a displayed part that is in an assembly?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In NX 11.0.1 update, when you close a displayed part window of a part that is in an oppened assembly, then the part remains still opened

Why to close the displayed part as it will be closed from current NX session and will not be visible in the loaded assembly (At least in NX 10). If you are making changes to the multiple parts in the large assembly, simply save the parts at displayed part level and make the assembly as the work part. You can track the changes made to the different parts by 'Modified' column in the assembly navigator. Any changes made to the part(component) will flag the component, it's parent(if sub assembly) and the main assembly before saving the assembly. 

asm.PNG

When you select the sub/main assembly as 'Display Parent' from the displayed part then it is needed to make the sub/main assembly as the work part. You can avoid these extra clicks (making assembly as work part) by toggling off the option 'Maintain' under Menu > Preferences > Assemblies

asm1.PNG

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

While the component is the displayed part do the following:

1. Click on the Assembly Navigator tab in the resource bar
  2. Right click on the component node
  3. Select display parent
  4. Choose the appropriate sub-assembly or top level you want to display

Regards,

Abe

Regards,
Abe